Junk it or repair?

rocknrobb

Cadet
Hello, I think I know the answer to this but I wanted to check with the good folks and pros on this forum. I have here a 1986 Bayliner Bass boat with a Force 85. Recently it started taking on water at the transom so when I got home I started investigating with this conclusion: I ripped it apart and found ROT everywhere! Because #1. it is a bayliner #2. it is a Force and #3. it is old and I'm thinking it should just be scrapped. Thoughts?
I tried to upload pictures but I guess they are too large.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Junk it or repair?

Hello, I think I know the answer to this but I wanted to check with the good folks and pros on this forum. I have here a 1986 Bayliner Bass boat with a Force 85. Recently it started taking on water at the transom so when I got home I started investigating with this conclusion: I ripped it apart and found ROT everywhere! Because #1. it is a bayliner #2. it is a Force and #3. it is old and I'm thinking it should just be scrapped. Thoughts?
I tried to upload pictures but I guess they are too large.

Picture size for forum is 640x480
Guess I'm a good folk cause I sure ain't no pro.
#1. Bayliners are good boats if you take care of them #2. I like people like you that think a force is crape because I can get an easy to work on motor for cheap :D do your mantainace and it will last. #3. I'm working on a 1967 runabout that will last longer (once it's finished) than any newer boat that the owner is not properly taking care of.
Doesn't sound like your attached to the boat or motor, so I would sell it as a project and get something that will have some meaning to you. It's no fun and a burden to restore something you really don't like, those two things make for a crappy job.

rocknrobb

Cadet

Picture of transom. I bought this boat last year cheap and don't really know the history:

Attachments

• 100_0517.jpg
    100_0517.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

Its a gut job, that pic is the rear of the transom from under the splashwell?

mine looked the same, expect the stringers to be rotted too.

If you don't care too much for the boat ditch it as a project, or do as I did and start tearing it out. I enjoyed fixing mine.