Water pump

redsplace

Recruit
I have a 2008 Mercury 150XL EFI and I can not find out what water pump it takes. My problem is when I start motor I wait a good 30 sec. to over a minute to see water coming out of the pee hole. I had complained about it once under warranty and the dealer put a different one in and then I got water out with in 5 seconds, but after the last check up they replaced it with what the motor had in it before and now I wait. They told me that the motor had a high volume pump and they put in a high pressure, and I am not sure I have that right it could be in resverse of what I said, but what ever it is I want to get the one that starts peeing with in 5 seconds. I use to have a old 1986 Mercury Black Max and it was instant but I do not think that pump would work in this motor.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water pump

The pee stream you see depends on when the thermostats begin to open. If you don't have a overheating problem,leave it alone.

brandon110

Seaman

Id never take your motor back to those guys. Always use exact replacment parts putting in a differnt pump from what mercury recommends will take you out of any warrenty. Also its not all motors that wait for the theremostats to open before you get a pee stream. some will show it instanly dependiing on the motor. to some point i do agree with ENSIGN if its not broke dont touch it. but i would recomend getting the right pump in there and a new theremostat and make sure the system is free a debris. If you get me the serial number i can get you the part numbers for the correct theremostat and water pump.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree,if it aint broke,dont fix it.Its normal to wait till tstat opens.Some motors are routed differently where you will get instant stream.Cold i usually wait around 30 seconds for my V6 to pee,and i always have one eye on the temp gauge...as ENSIGN said, thats what really matters.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

They told me that the motor had a high volume pump and they put in a high pressure,
I myself would go back to dealer and demand my $$ back as there is NO such thing as a high volume or high pressure impeller offered for that engine!!! It uses the standard 47-89984 impeller...somebody's giving you a load of BS.

redsplace

Recruit

id never take your motor back to those guys. Always use exact replacment parts putting in a differnt pump from what mercury recommends will take you out of any warrenty. Also its not all motors that wait for the theremostats to open before you get a pee stream. Some will show it instanly dependiing on the motor. To some point i do agree with ensign if its not broke dont touch it. But i would recomend getting the right pump in there and a new theremostat and make sure the system is free a debris. If you get me the serial number i can get you the part numbers for the correct theremostat and water pump.
1b521111