ATTN STARCRAFT OWNERS: Need advice

Andy in NY

Commander
I just came from looking at a boat that was advertised on the local swap shop on the radio. It was only $450, so I called the guy. Just came back from looking at it.

Unknown year Starcraft 16' runabout
55 hp johnson, 1969 model
add on tilt/trim
hull seems solid, no obviously repaired areas
paint so-so
windshield GREAT
seats good
trailer decent

deck shot
transom probably shot too

The guy said he got it from someone who owed him money, and just wants to get his money out of it. PO said it ran and didnt leak, but im going to assume it DOESNT run and DOES leak.

What are your opinions, worth it even if the motor is shot? i have the 50 hp from my current boat i could put on it. Oh, it was last regestered in 08.

1245340114.jpg

1245340016.jpg

1245339957.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: ATTN STARCRAFT OWNERS: Need advice

I would go for it. Leaks are easy fixes. It just needs attention and if you do not fix the OB just part it out.

Andy in NY

Commander

I would go for it. Leaks are easy fixes. It just needs attention and if you do not fix the OB just part it out.

oh, it has a bimini that has a small tear in it too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well worth the money.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well worth the money. These old aluminum Starcrafts are great boats. Aluminum hulls are by far the easiest project boat to build.

Darren

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy I just gave 8 pictures of Mr. Franklin for basically that same boat and I have BAS bad if I had seen that one it would already be at my house :D. Run dont walk back to the seller and give him cash quickly before its gone .

Rick

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with all the above - go get it. You can (almost) sell a non-running motor for that much, around here. Then you'd have a hull and trailer for free!

Deck and transom are easy projects - took us about 2 weeks working evenings. Could be done in a weekend if you're really ambitious.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Andy I just gave 8 pictures of Mr. Franklin for basically that same boat and I have BAS bad if I had seen that one it would already be at my house :D. Run dont walk back to the seller and give him cash quickly before its gone .

Rick

Rick, isn't there counterfieting laws in KY? lol

Andy...
I am saying THUMBS UP on that deal..but I dig your current boat and would just keep an eye out for a new 2 you motor for that Starcraft

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy, what did you think they were going to say with a title like that???
You're just braggin' now... go get her and let us see what you can do.

PS - good luck!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well worth the money. These old aluminum Starcrafts are great boats. Aluminum hulls are by far the easiest project boat to build.

Darren

"They are so easy even Kev can do it"

Hows THAT for an endorsement! lol:D

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely Buy it! I bought mine in the exact same type of deal. Assumed the boat would sink, the motor wouldn't run, and new it needed at least a new deck. Turned out it didn't sink, had some small leaks (tons of info here on how to fix that), the motor did infact run after I de-winterized it following the procedure in the motor's service manual, with some new paint and a couple weekends replacing the desk and installing new carpet, I now have an awesome boat for less then 1k.

You will be very happy with it. The way I thought about it, if it didn't run, or leaked like crazy the trailer would have been worth the 400 I bought mine for.

My should I buy thread :)
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=245358

Good luck,
Tom

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, I just came from the guys house. gave him $100 to not sell it before i can get there sat morning with the rest of the money.

How can I figure out what year it is? theres no HID that i can find, but on the dash it says its a "jupiter V"
heres a few more pics:

1245368990.jpg

1245369183.jpg

1245369290.jpg

So a few quick questions:

do they have wooden stringers?

how sturdy is the bow (we beach alot)

can i gut it and drop it in the water to check for leaks?

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome, To answer your questions, my 1978 didn't have wooden stringers and I doubt but am not totally sure that yours would have them. It should be aluminum stringers.

The bow of my bowrider, is pretty sturdy we beach a lot as well, and really only scratch off paint. I am starting now to only go in a little bit and use 2 anchors to hold the boat in 1 to 2 ft of water, only to save the paint.

When I was checking for leaks, I put a hose in the bilge and started filling with water, with the drain plug in of-course. Then with it on the trailer with the boat filling look for leaks. You could also do this with the interior out.

Good luck,
Tom

Andy in NY

Commander

Awesome, To answer your questions, my 1978 didn't have wooden stringers and I doubt but am not totally sure that yours would have them. It should be aluminum stringers.

The bow of my bowrider, is pretty sturdy we beach a lot as well, and really only scratch off paint. I am starting now to only go in a little bit and use 2 anchors to hold the boat in 1 to 2 ft of water, only to save the paint.

When I was checking for leaks, I put a hose in the bilge and started filling with water, with the drain plug in of-course. Then with it on the trailer with the boat filling look for leaks. You could also do this with the interior out.

Good luck,
Tom
This is a closed bow, so im wondering how strong the top is for climbing on it.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh true sorry, I thought you meant how sturdy is the bow for beaching, basically running aground... hitting rocks, sand etc.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy it looks just like my 1970 Jupiter V only yours still has paint on it :D. The Starcraft Logo's on the rear quarters are they Plastic letters ooooooor are they stickers. I know mine had stickers aaaaand I know the 67's had the rounded style windshields sooooooo if yours has plastic letters that puts it around 68-69 if they are stickers then 70 or later :D. Oh yeah the stringers as far as I know in ALL aluminum Starcrafts are aluminum only wood in the boat is the deck and transome other than interior panels.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

WELCOME TO THE STARCRAFT CLUB!
Now Rick ain't the NKOTB anymore! lol

No wood stringers in there as Rick mentioned..in fact you will see this..:D

111036.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My guess is 1970 +/- because of not having a plexi windshield. Aluminum stringers. I used 3/4" ply on my new deck and am happy with that choice. The bow is not sturdy enough for you but probably fine for kids. It just a 1x4 wood structure underneath it. It would not be hard at all to reinforce it though. Actually that 2x4 under the dash was probably put there for that purpose. It should move along pretty decent with that light 55HP. Check out the pics linked in my signature.

Andy in NY

Commander

It has a plastic emblem. The motor comes back as a 69, so its probably the origional motor. Question about the power trim... it looks to me like is an add on (not origional) but then again i have never dealt with it before... is this something that came on the motor when new?
1245339957.jpg

So i told the wife about it last night, she wasn't really on board at first but i explained to her 1) the ease of restoration and 2) the value of starcrafts. I think she is okay with it, but she doesnt like the idea of the closed bow. we beach at the sand bar alot and she is wondering how we will get on to the beach.

ezmobee, what length is yours?