Honeymoon Destinations

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Were getting married on April 14th and havn't decided yet where to go on a honeymoon. We thought about a cruise but that's cost prohibitive right now. We plan on staying in the states. We have talked about going to Michigan as we would both really like to get out on the Great Lakes and maybe do a guided fishing trip. Is there any recomendations on where to stay and what to do if we were to go to Michigan?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honeymoon Destinations

If you're not big drinkers, I can't see how anything could be cheaper than a cruise. If you get an inside room you can get both of you for under $100/day. And that includes food, entertainment, etc.
I'm 29 and have been on 3 cruises and I love them! Seriously, the bar tab has been the biggest variable for me, so get drinks on the islands you stop at!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

April is early for fishing on Michigan, Huron, Superior, or Erie ice will be gone but cold. You could get a Walleye charter out of Port Clinton, Ohio I know a few Captans that run that ime of year, and can set you up with lodging but would say wait a couple of weeks for warmer weather.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

are you sure a cruise is out...?????

I know of an Italian liner that has a really big sale on right now.....life jackets included.....captain optional !

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You went there didn't ya oops!

Here is where I took my new bride a little over 12 years ago....

http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Price? Insane. Totally ridiculous. This is where the the rich and famous go (I'm clearly neither). Worth it? Yes! And you know I'm a proud, hardened bottom feeder too.

Jen and I talk about our honeymoon often, I'm glad I burned the cash to make it happen:D

Vacation to MI, in April? Yah, that's a shoulder month so you may score a few nice days, or it may be really cold and rainy:redface:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

That time of year you can get a great deal at an all inclusive in the carribean somewhere (Jamaica, Dominican etc) for likely less than you will spend staying within North America.

Many years ago Mrs Ken and I went to Orillia, Ontario for 5 days off season winter break and after that we realised that an all inclusive in a hot tropical country was actually cheaper overall for the entire week.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

If you're not big drinkers, I can't see how anything could be cheaper than a cruise. If you get an inside room you can get both of you for under $100/day. And that includes food, entertainment, etc.
I'm 29 and have been on 3 cruises and I love them! Seriously, the bar tab has been the biggest variable for me, so get drinks on the islands you stop at!

Well, the thing is if we cruise somewhere out of the country we wouldn't have time to get passports now. We decided months ago we would stay in the states and in a few years we would start taking cruises and such.

April is early for fishing on Michigan, Huron, Superior, or Erie ice will be gone but cold. You could get a Walleye charter out of Port Clinton, Ohio I know a few Captans that run that ime of year, and can set you up with lodging but would say wait a couple of weeks for warmer weather.

Fishing is kind of hit and miss in April here to. I guess Michigan is farther north so that idea is probably out. Thanks for the input!

are you sure a cruise is out...?????

I know of an Italian liner that has a really big sale on right now.....life jackets included.....captain optional !

Haha, I had a feeling someone would post that up!

You went there didn't ya oops!

Here is where I took my new bride a little over 12 years ago....

http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Price? Insane. Totally ridiculous. This is where the the rich and famous go (I'm clearly neither). Worth it? Yes! And you know I'm a proud, hardened bottom feeder too.

Jen and I talk about our honeymoon often, I'm glad I burned the cash to make it happen:D

Man that's absolutely beautiful, that right there might change my mind. Thanks for the link!

That time of year you can get a great deal at an all inclusive in the carribean somewhere (Jamaica, Dominican etc) for likely less than you will spend staying within North America.

Interesting, I guess we might have to look into it some more.

Thanks for all the help fellas! :D :D

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You're right about the passports. Too late. I'm very well traveled, and the best cruise we've ever been on was a deep south Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. We especially loved St. Lucia--home to many incredible 5 star resorts.

Cruises are especially a bargain this year, and I watch them on Vacationstogo.com. A 5 day Carnival trip out of Jacksonville--$219 per person.

April is a great time to head to Florida, but I've been to Florida dozens of times. If you've never been to Disney, do it. Last year, we spent a day in Disneyworld, and got a Hertz Rent a Car for $5.00 a day--and delivered it in Washington, DC. Did the coast trip--Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, DC museums, etc. Hertz moves cars north about that time of the year.

A great trip would be to California. I like to get a car in San Francisco, drive down to Monterrey/Carmel and down to the Hurst Castle. It's very interesting place--absolutely beautiful scenery. You could drop the car in L.A.

Or, Las Vegas is very reasonable with tourism off so much. It's very interesting place--with Hoover Dam and other sights to see.

You can go fishing any time. You only have a wedding once.

This is my 25th wedding anniversary, and we're doing London, Florence, Tuscany and Rome for 2 weeks in April.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I grew up in Michigan.
I'm not sure if April would be the best time for this, but Mackinaw Island is a popular honeymoon destination.
Mackinac Island

We've stayed here a couple of times and the wife had her crew there for a conference once.
Inn at Stonecliff

The Grand Hotel was the setting for a Christopher Reeves movie, (Somewhere in Time?)
Grand Hotel

It's a beautiful island with no internal combustion engines allowed on the roads. It's all walking, bikes, or horses.
April may be a bit early for that far north in Michigan, though.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Another good stop..
Tahquamenon Falls

But this is even further north than the Mac Bridge and Island.
I don't know if the locals even venture out in April. :p

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the thing is if we cruise somewhere out of the country we wouldn't have time to get passports now. We decided months ago we would stay in the states and in a few years we would start taking cruises and such.
You don't really need a passport for closed loop cruises to the Caribbean, but if you needed to me Medevac'd out things would get complicated, so I always have my passport. Expedited ones only take a week or so to arrive if you change your mind. ;) Nothing like the Caribbean in the Winter/early Spring! My last cruise was last February and it's such a nice break from the cold.
Otherwise, since you're gettin' hitched in April, I'd definitely go South for the warmth! But that's just me. :) (and my GF, of course!)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Well, the thing is if we cruise somewhere out of the country we wouldn't have time to get passports now.
:confused: Normal cycle time for a passport is 5 weeks. You can get them in less than a week for a $25 expoditing fee.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you like country music ......Nashville is a great place to visit......Grand Ole Opry, General Jackson Dinner Cruise and show, Country music Hall of Fame, Old Rhyneman Theatre, tour of the stars homes , bars on mainstreet, .....and not too far to visit Dollywood !

lncoop

Vice Admiral

:confused: Normal cycle time for a passport is 5 weeks. You can get them in less than a week for a $25 expoditing fee.

That's what I was thinking. The Coops have obtained three passports since they started requiring them for Mexico and none of them has taken more than a month. You should have more than enough time to get them by April if you're so inclined.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Oh yeah, forgot the most important thing. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p Just kidding. Congratulations!:D

southkogs

Staff member

If you like country music ......Nashville is a great place to visit......Grand Ole Opry, General Jackson Dinner Cruise and show, Country music Hall of Fame, Old Rhyneman Theatre, tour of the stars homes , bars on mainstreet, .....and not too far to visit Dollywood !

^^^Andrew if y'all wind up taking this advice, let me know. I can point you to some nice stuff down here. GREAT B&B on the East end of the state my wife and I have stayed at too.

If Michigan winds up being the route - Look at Petosky or Harbor Springs. There's a great old hotel that is fun to stay at (I think it's the Terrace) right on Lake Michigan.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My wife and oldest daughter just got passports and it only took 2-3 weeks. If you want to fish in April, you might want to consider something in the Southeast.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I would recommend any quality bed and good room service.

Yup, that is what I was thinkin ... save the outside scenery for a vacation ...

That's my thinking to ;)

You don't really need a passport for closed loop cruises to the Caribbean, but if you needed to me Medevac'd out things would get complicated, so I always have my passport. Expedited ones only take a week or so to arrive if you change your mind. Nothing like the Caribbean in the Winter/early Spring! My last cruise was last February and it's such a nice break from the cold.
Otherwise, since you're gettin' hitched in April, I'd definitely go South for the warmth! But that's just me. :) (and my GF, of course!)

I didn't think to much about the cold, I think south it is. We have been looking into Florida.

We have about 11 weeks yet, she already has a passport, I would just need to get mine.

Oh yeah, forgot the most important thing. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p Just kidding. Congratulations!:D

That's not the first time I've heard that :eek: Thanks man!