Affect of Moving Main Seat Position?

DHag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am presently removing the cap from my 1979 Champion Super-V bass boat (iBoats reference here), to repair some hull damage, replace any rot, and replace foam that is probably water-logged. So I see this as an opportunity.

About the only thing I have not liked about this boat is the small rear fishing platform. The seats sit far back in the boat, and the rear fishing platform is only about 18 inches long.

So while I'm tearing it all apart anyway, I could make some changes, basically to make it more like newer boats:
  • Move the seats/console forward 12-18 inches, to the same position as later Champion Super-V models.
  • As a result, make the rear fishing platform 12-18 inches longer.
  • Add a left-side console.
  • Add an openable cover over the floor to extend the front platform.
  • Enlarge the rear fish well.
  • Replace the front fish well with storage or a cooler.

The boat is 16' 8" long, 150 HP Merc V1500.
With a 3-blade prop and Doel-fin, it had a tendency to porpoise. I "fixed" that with an SE 300 hydrofoil stabilizer and a 4-blade prop.

My main question is, what affect will moving the seats forward have on ride and handling? If it's a dumb, unsafe idea, just say so. Seems to me, since just a few years later Champion moved the seats forward in this model, it should be OK. But I could be wrong.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Affect of Moving Main Seat Position?

you wont have any issues with that.

the amount of weight you are referring to ins minor in the grand scheme of things.

have you removed the cap yet?

post pics of what you are doing here in the dry dock.

we would love to see another good re design

cheers
oops

DHag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you removed the cap yet?
I'm working on that now. I've got it loose at the bow. Right now I'm working out how to cut the console and storage boxes loose from the deck. Then I'll have to figure out the best way to free up the transom/splash well. I've seen some others who have cut that part out. We'll see.
post pics of what you are doing here in the dry dock.
we would love to see another good re design
I'll do that.
The key word there is "good." :facepalm: I'll try to do it right.
Thanks.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome DHag,
Glad to see another bass boat getting the "treatment"...
I'll be tagging along to see what develops...I am kinda in the same "boat", so to speak...
Best regards,
GT1M

DHag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the valuable input, everybody.

My son-in-law convinced me that moving the seats forward really is a dumb idea.

Why?

Because if I take that on, I won't have it back on the water this spring, and THAT is the most important! When we fish together, he's on the back platform, and he doesn't think it's too narrow. So...

I've started the tear-down for the hull repair and resto. I just got the cap off. I've started a new thread to document and photograph the process:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=530194