Minn Kota Power Drive v2 what do you think?

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Well I just bought a Power Drive V2 24v 54" shaft bow mount with Co Pilot and universal sonar. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Pros and Cons, mounting suggestions, etc. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Minn Kota Power Drive v2 what do you think?

They are good models. The only drawback is if you ever add the i-Pilot to it you can't use the foot pedal.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

AH yes--that is why I didn't get the I-pilot. For some reason it just didn't appeal to me (not having the foot pedal) even though I will use the Co pilot. Do you know if you can add auto pilot to this model?

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I purchased the modual from Minn Kota for $65 dollars. You have to modify or buy a new top case for the auto pilot button. You will not belive how much it will improve the operation of the system!!! Call them the number is on the bottom of your control head and you will need the serial number.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I purchased the modual from Minn Kota for $65 dollars. You have to modify or buy a new top case for the auto pilot button. You will not belive how much it will improve the operation of the system!!! Call them the number is on the bottom of your control head and you will need the serial number.

Sweet. The model straight from Minn Kota with the autopilot was a bit more than I wanted to spend right now--so being able to add it is great. Thanks for the info.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I finally got the motor and installed it Friday--used it Saturday--this thing was freaking awesome.
I was thinking I was going to use the foot pedal mostly--but nope--I put my 4 rods out and sat in the back of the boat and used the co pilot remote all day long. I was drifting with the wind (crappie fishing) and just used the motor to adjust my position. The 70lb thrust was perfect for my Ranger (354v)
The only thing I don't like is the way you have to mount it. about 6 inches of the mount has to stick out past the bow of the boat and the angle I had to mount makes the head of the motor stick out a little bit on the other side of the boat (makes the boat cover not seal as good) but that aside--I love it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I finally got the motor and installed it Friday--used it Saturday--this thing was freaking awesome.
I was thinking I was going to use the foot pedal mostly--but nope--I put my 4 rods out and sat in the back of the boat and used the co pilot remote all day long. I was drifting with the wind (crappie fishing) and just used the motor to adjust my position. The 70lb thrust was perfect for my Ranger (354v)
The only thing I don't like is the way you have to mount it. about 6 inches of the mount has to stick out past the bow of the boat and the angle I had to mount makes the head of the motor stick out a little bit on the other side of the boat (makes the boat cover not seal as good) but that aside--I love it.

It is a good unit. The original Power Drive was power hungry but the V2 is a miser. Go get the dang iPilot .... You'll never miss the foot pedal. The iPilot has so much more than the copilot/autopilot. It uses GPS instead of a magnetic compass. Oh heck, the first time it spins you around in a circle when you're least expecting it you'll just go get the iPilot on your own. I've got the Terrova and can stick that think on a position and never move more than a couple of inches. Forget the anchor!

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

It is a good unit. The original Power Drive was power hungry but the V2 is a miser. Go get the dang iPilot .... You'll never miss the foot pedal. The iPilot has so much more than the copilot/autopilot. It uses GPS instead of a magnetic compass. Oh heck, the first time it spins you around in a circle when you're least expecting it you'll just go get the iPilot on your own. I've got the Terrova and can stick that think on a position and never move more than a couple of inches. Forget the anchor!

I just may a bit later. I buddy of mine is going to re-do his tracker next year and I may sell him mine and get the Terrova. I just didn't have the cash to get it this go around--and on the ipilot for the v2--I just really didnt expect I would like using the remote as well as I did. But I am happy with it--and is much better than the old motorguide original classic that was on the boat. I guess I'll make my move up slowly:D

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

They are coming out with a new i-Pilot after the 1st of the year. One of the improvements is the capability of storing 6 tracks instead of 3 which they now have.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Well I got the motor mounted last Friday and went out Saturday. I didn't think I would like using the remote over the pedal---but--I was wrong. i was crappie fishing floating with the wind and used the motor to keep the bow adjusted right--This thing is awesome. After about 7 hours of this I used it to roll for white bass. The boat is an 18ft Ranger 354v so it has a little bit of weight to it. I just checked my batteries today and have only used about 1/4 of the capacity. Holy cow-I couldn't believe it. I still have 12.7V on each battery. I am a happy camper. The only thing I didn't like about it is that you have to mount it with about 6" sticking past the bow but other than that this is the best piece of equipment I could have bought for my boat.