Steam from 15 hp Suzuki Four Stroke

iliketurtles813

Recruit
I have a 1999 15 hp Suzuki four stroke outboard. Never really had much problems with it except carb stuff from letting it sit for a while. Anyway, I took it out today on the river, I was going idle speed for about 15 minutes though the no wake zone. Then the zone ended so I took her up to full speed (as I normally do), she was running good for about 2 minutes and then I noticed the rpm's dropped slightly, so I took it right back to idle speed. As soon as it hit idle speed I just hear hissing and steam (not smoke) starts coming out of exhaust or pee stream, maybe both I don't remember. Then I just pulled the key and she shut off, I was hooking up my trolling motor and thought I give it another try, so I started it up again (one pull) and then more steam just started coming out so I turned it off and trolled back to the ramp.

I thought it was weird that the steam started only when I hit idle speed? I'm not sure what it could be, but I think its most likely something in the cooling system, maybe a hose? I was hoping one someone on here would know. Thanks!

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Steam from 15 hp Suzuki Four Stroke

the most common is:
1.dirt on water entrance screen
2.bad water pump impeler(need to be changed on new)
3 stack termostat-not working or dirt in termostat chamber
4.under powerhead where water pipe enters powerhead there is rubber gromet-if cooling system starts to fail this gromet can swalow

problematic

Recruit

I hope you solved your problem. I purchased a 15 Hp Suzuki a few months ago, for my Gheenoe. They are lighter. To make a long story short, it sucks. Doesn't start. I have attempted to take it out three times. My fishing condo is 90 miles each way, so I have dragged that peice of garbage 460 miles and only been able to burn $5.16 dollars in fuel. For the few extra pounds and dollars, I would buy anything else. I have probably owned thirty outbourds, this one sucks. I know it is under warranty, so I will waste 8 hours dragging it to and from the closest dealer. THIS MOTOR IS A PEICE OF JUNK, fOR SALE, ANY INTEREST? i WOULD NOT SELL THIS TO MY WORST ENEMY. gOOD LUCK!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I have probably owned thirty outbourds,

Sounds like you do not take very good care of your motors if you have gone through that many

If you want some help or advice on your motor start your own thread with all the info and what you have done to it and maybe someone can help you.
Letting them sit for long periods of time is bad for them and their fuel system without prepping them for storage properly

pmaru77

Recruit

I'm not too happy with my Suzi lately either. But it is somewhat my fault. The friggin' flushing system is kind of outrageous. You have to screw in a plug hole (designed for flushing) with a special fitting, hooked up with a hose to flush. BUT, don't FORGET tp put "duct tape" over the water intake on the cavitation plate, or you will f*)k up the pater pump or worse. Imagine that, hey honey, throw me that roll of duct tape over there, I need to flush the engine. LOL!

Going to put in a new everything waterpump this week and try like hell to get a year out of it.