Weird hole under floor leading into bilge area

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my 1974 Seaswirl there is a hole that is under the rear edge of the floor and leading into the bilge. At first water came out of the hole after I removed the glob of silicone someone had plugged the hole with. Is this hole supposed to be there or is it supposed to be plugged?

Thanks
Larry E

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Weird hole under floor leading into bilge area

post a picture of the hole in question, it will help us understand what this weird hole you speak of is!

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

post a picture of the hole in question, it will help us understand what this weird hole you speak of is!

I will do that tomorrow, but if you were standing at the rear of the deck looking down to where the bilge area starts there is this hole under the deck leading into the bilge. The opening is about the size of two quarters standing side by side.

chriscraft254

Commander

Your probably going to have to post a pic. It is possible if it is in the rear corner that it could have been a drain for the deck, self bailing. But without knowing your boats configuration it will be hard to tell. If it was a drain, it would more than likely have just been round to start with. By the way, the bilge area and where it starts can be different on every boat.

Bondo

Staff member

I will do that tomorrow, but if you were standing at the rear of the deck looking down to where the bilge area starts there is this hole under the deck leading into the bilge. The opening is about the size of two quarters standing side by side.

Ayuh,... It's there to drain the cavity under the deck....
The water runs from under the deck, to the bilge pocket, where it can be pumped out....

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... It's there to drain the cavity under the deck....
The water runs from under the deck, to the bilge pocket, where it can be pumped out....

OK thats what I wanted to hear. I was leaning that way but was not sure why someone would plug the hole.
Thanks
Larry E

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

OK thats what I wanted to hear. I was leaning that way but was not sure why someone would plug the hole.
Thanks
Larry E
Maybe the prevents owner was taking on water in the bilge and was trying to prevent it from working its way fwd.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the hole is not the issue......the water gushing up is.

the op filled the hole due to water coming up.......where is the water coming from is the real issue !!!!

post pics