Voyager EST question

chrismurr1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I need a little assistance. I have a 1984 GM based Merc 230 (305) carburated of course, straight inboard with a BW 1:1 trans. think that covers the basics.

I had to replace my TB IV system since the module failed and a new Voyager EST was a bit less expensive than the module.

I installed the EST last Sunday and she fired right up, beautiful. now i need to set the base timing with the shunt.... DOH, Michigan Motors didnt send me one, I have 2 of the same pigtail for that side of the dist. just a single black wire out port B.

I don't have a shift interrupt system that functions with the ignition (Mine interrupts the starter if its in gear instead).

so i look at the destruction sheet MM sent me and it just appears that the shunt is port C and D looped, and i read that a dozen or more times here already so i went ahead and made the nice little loop myself....

here is where the issue starts... so i am supposed to apply 12v to the black lead in B with the engine running and the shunt in place, problem is that when i apply that 12v.... the system shuts down :/ kinda figured that is how the shift interrupt is supposed to work in normal mode but i am sure i have the shunt connecting to the leads well.

Am I missing something here? i dont need to run that plug at all for normal runs, i just need it to set base timing but when i jack it into the distro while running, the timing doesnt change even slightly and the second i apply power... down she goes.

any suggestions? i do have everything connected as in Don's pic from this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=494210 with the exception of the shift interrupt. I would like to go out tomorrow evening after work and get this puppy locked down so we can go out this weekend..

thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Voyager EST question

I don't have a shift interrupt system that functions with the ignition (Mine interrupts the starter if its in gear instead).

That does nothing. You are going to need the shift interrupt system to work, but it's not going to work like the TB ignition system worked.
The shunt needs wired in permanently, you should call MM and get one sent to you. The shunt MUST have all three wires in the proper location to work the shift interrupt system and be able to set it into base timing mode.

You also need the shift interrupt system working before you put it in the water. When in the water, you won't be able to get it out of gear without damaging something

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I think Don missed that part about the borg warner trans.
You don’t need or want shift interrupt with an inboard.
Why your engine kills? Only thing I can think of is the shunt wire in C and D isn’t making connection.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I don't think Don missed anything.
He's probably thinking, why aren't you calling MM. I know for a fact they are willing to help.

Ok, I read his response again. Now, how did you place the order with MM? Did you tell them you had an inbroad?

PS: you are about to be moved!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think Don missed that part about the borg warner trans.

Yeah, missed it, I read inboard, and blinded to the rest. 99% of the called inboards on this forum are IO, they just get called inboards.

Anyway, to the original poster. Since the EST is not normal on Mercruiser carbed engines, see if this Volvo info will help.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407

chrismurr1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone, I am going to go and give it another try. I will call MM tomorrow and get them to send me a timing shunt for this kit. seems pretty easy to just create one out of the spare they sent me. I will let you know if i have any luck.

thanks
Chris