first start after a rebuild of a merc 3.0 L

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok i have completed the rebuild of my 3.0L merc. I want to get it started before putting it back in the boat. I have tried to start it but it wont fire there is 12 volts to the coil after i figured out that you need to jumper were the starter wire that comes through the wiring plug which was 5 to 6. I still have not spark out of my coil. I have determined no spark from the coil with a timing light on the out put cable. I have used the same dizy, points and condenser that was in the previous block The engine started and ran before i tore into it so i cant see any problems with the electrical parts but something isnt right.
Any suggestions what else i may have missed?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: first start after a rebuild of a merc 3.0 L

Ok i have completed the rebuild of my 3.0L merc. I want to get it started before putting it back in the boat. I have tried to start it but it wont fire there is 12 volts to the coil after i figured out that you need to jumper were the starter wire that comes through the wiring plug which was 5 to 6. I still have not spark out of my coil. I have determined no spark from the coil with a timing light on the out put cable. I have used the same dizy, points and condenser that was in the previous block The engine started and ran before i tore into it so i cant see any problems with the electrical parts but something isnt right.
Any suggestions what else i may have missed?

Ayuh,... Change the points,....

Their a normal maintenance throw-away part, 'n should be done yearly anyways...

Jumper directly from the battery (+) to the coil (+)....

fine sandpaper, 'n resettin' the points, as a test just might prove my point....

Replace the points after the test with New 1s though...

Ya set the timin', 'n plug wires right, Right,..??

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try that but all that worked before i pulled the motor out of the boat. I will probably just get new points and condenser, Can i get them from a regular auto parts place. one other thing the coil says something on it about using a resistor could that be my prob?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Points corrode and glaze over from sitting. They may close looking at them, but they don't close electrically. Replace them, and the condenser.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Points corrode and glaze over from sitting. They may close looking at them, but they don't close electrically. Replace them, and the condenser.
yes sir will do first thing tomorrow LOL

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried to clean the points no luck say the wire from the distributor had a nick in it right were it post to the out side of the distributor. When i took the wire off the other dizzy i had i relised I ended up using the wrong distributor i used one from the motor that i bought off the ground. Swapped the the newer dizzy and pow first crank off she went music to my ears.

Thanks for the help.