86 merc 150 with bogging problems

gator alan

Recruit
i have a 1986 merc 150 i was riding one day and when i slowed down to idel it died. when i got it back started it seem to run fine but when i put it in gear it bogded down and killed. It would not go over 10,000 rpm with out dieing. so now it runs in nutral but dies when you put it in gear. a budy told me his did the same thing and he changed the stator. So i got a new stator changed it out and it is doing the same thing as before. so now i dont know what to do. i would love to get it back for the summer with out bringing it to a over priced repairman.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 86 merc 150 with bogging problems

There is NO RETURN on electrical parts, which is why it is so important to properly test the ignition system before chaning any parts otherr than spark plugs.

Any problem should be attacked by simpple troubleshooting tests.

Begin with a spark test to ensure each plug wire delivers a hot blue arc across a 7/16 inch gap while cranking. Leave the sparkplugs out and ground all the wires except the one being tested to ease strain on the starter and battery and to prevent any errant sparks from ignition fuel fumes. Repeat on each plug wire.

A compression test can also be done while doing the spark test, you want to ensure all cyls have very near the same compression. The actual # isn't as important as all being welll within 10% of each other as the quality of gauge used can vary.

If any one or more plug wires fail to deliver a hot blue 7/16 inch arc then further testing is necessary.

Download the FREE Ignition Troubleshooting Guide from the Support pages of CDIElectronics

Their easy to follow guide will direct you how to test each component of your ignition system to accuratly determine the fault.

You will need a DVA meter or a DVA adaptor for any volt/ohm meter. An adaptor caan be built easily and cheaply following the directions posted here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374544

If spark and compression are both confirmed O.K. then you can proceed to the fuel system.

Repost your findings and we can go on from there.