Mercruiser 165 in 1972 Sea Ray 190

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 1972 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a Mercruiser 165. I haven't really done anything yet except clean it up a bit as the boat has been sitting for several years and it s raining and I have no covered area to work. The starter is new but appears to be an automotive starter, and the distributor is definitely an automotive part. The fuel lines have never been change in 39 years. How do I know that? they are the old SAE J30 hose from the 70's. The manifold is pretty rusty on the outside, and there is a lot of rust on the other side of the engine block. But strangely enough it is relatively clean. No oil in the bilge, no oil all over everything. So who knows it may be all right? But where to start is the question? I really don't want to haul it out if I don't have to.

Any good sources of parts? That kind of info would be very valuable. IN the Pacific Northwest would be good but not totally necessary. If it needs a rebuild someone near Tacoma would be good.

CRW_4128.jpg

CRW_4129.jpg

CRW_4135.jpg

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser 165 in 1972 Sea Ray 190

Parts are right here on i-boats.
Can you turn the engine by hand? If it does move, I'd get fresh oil in it & prime it! Put a decent starter on it. You know you the carb is trashed/junk!? Distributor? Make sure the drive has oil in it. Try to run it & see what ya got.
There is alot of rotten seat framework. How's the floor, let alone the transom?

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I haven't tried anything yet with the engine. The seats all need to be rebuilt. The hull and transom are sound. The floor? It feels solid but I still need to take up that old moldy carpet and move all the seats etc, and get a good look at it. If we get a decent dry day I'll be able to do that. I don't even have a battery for it yet, and the key is missing. I will have to replace the switch.
More pics at. http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea%20Ray/?albumview=slideshow

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just love the old searays.....they just look so classic.

the boat in the hull extension thread is a 69 190......it came with the same power as you have......if you can get it running i think you will find that to be a really good motor.

most of those parts are easy to get your hands on....i dont think you will find any really tough stuff to track down.

a boat that has been sitting that long will have bellows and shift boot issues. make sure you grease the gimbal bearing before you fire the motor.

good luck......and if you do find some hull issues.....post pics in the dry dock and we can help you !

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Tried turning it by hand. It turns. Belt needs replacing. Took out the #2 plug. It has black carbon on it but nothing unusual. I took all the seats out and got everything out of the way. Finally got a look at the tank. It's a rotomolded PE tank. So no more worries about corrosion. Turned wheel and observed Outdrive. It moves. Stiff but moves.

glastronomic

Seaman

looks a bit of work from the outside with that surface rustbut it is the inside that counts.
My 165 HP sat for a great many years still as well but still runs/operaters great.
changed all aux bits after I got is somehow running and did a compression test while warm after a good result rebuild carburator, original marinised altenator, new waterpump, overhauled distributor, points, new spark plugs/leads, thermostat, new coil, new electric fuel pump, etc.
well worth the expense and trouble.
What a great looking boat!

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Thanks for posting in one of my earlier threads, sadly I don't have the time to finish it, yet! The engine you have is one of the best marine adaptations. In my opinion you need to get a manual to learn how the thing works and find out what needs to be replaced/cleaned/repaired so you can move forward. This forum is ideal for answering those nagging questions you don't quite get and there is a ton of seasoned expertise available. In a nutshell, check to see you have no serious problems like a cracked block and then check each item as you go through the motor and repair/replace with marine parts only. Naturally, you can get a marine mechanic to do it if you have enough money to pay him, but if you wanted to do that you wouldn't be on this forum, eh?

Good luck with your project.

kilowatts

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You definitely want to pull the manifold and riser off and see how the water passages look. If you need a new one, here's a good site where I purchased my last one. They have good prices on other items you will need as well.

For the actual engine parts, simply go to your local auto parts store and get parts for a mid 70's Chevy truck with the 250 engine. (That's for the internal parts, not the fuel and electric).

Also I would suggest buying a new fuel pump that has the extra fitting for fuel to be re-routed to the carb in case the diaphragm leaks. The old original pumps did not have that provision.

Finally, buy some marine rated A! fuel hose for connection between the pump and carb - and get rid of the inline fuel filter.