1998 - 115 Oceanrunner - sxecm midsection conversion question.

joshgabel

Recruit
I have a 1998 - 115 Oceanrunner - J115SXECM motor and i love it. my boat is a bayhawk 18' pocket tunnel bay boat with jackplate.

my issue : with the jackplate all the way raised, bolted to transom as high as possible and motor bolted in the upper most possible holes in the jackplate the motor sits too low in the water.
with my previous motor (115 merc I6) i was able to jack the motor up high enough to get a prop blade out of the water, now with the plate all the way up the centerline of the prop is 4" below bottom of the boat!
i did use this boat in bays and flats but now my draft is too deep.

my question : is it possible and if so what is involved to change this out to a short or medium shaft length provided i can find a donor motor.
i am hoping to be able to re-use my lower unit and powerhead and utilize the midsection of a blown motor.

thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinions.

joshgabel

Recruit
Re: 1998 - 115 Oceanrunner - sxecm midsection conversion question.

almost forgot !!!

The numbers: motor has a 25" shaft length (x-long)
top of transom to bottom of transom - 28"
pocket tunnel is 7"
jackplate has 6" of lift.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

This will be pretty easy if you find the parts, you will need a standard 20" midsection, 20" driveshaft,20" shift shaft and make sure it has exhaust plate and tuner with it. You can use one from a 1991 and up V-4 90-140 hp crossflow. To bad your not closer as I have several...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

are you sure he can use a midsetion from a crossflow???

I can understand your delima. I have a 20" shaft 1995 oceanr runner 115 hp and I installed a 6" lift hydraulic jack plate as well. I mounted in the highest possible combination i could and i still had the motor too low for total benifit. ei....I could still go full speed with the jack half way up....telling me i lost half the jacks use for shallow water needs!

I mounted a (2) 1/2" X5" wide pieces of 6061 aluminum onto the jack and i bolted the motor onto that..actially sandwhiching the plate with the lower bolts and just bolting the top motor mount holes right to the plate.

110aj42.jpg

fazt, I just looked up the exhaust housing(inner) for my 95 model and it ONLY interchanges with 96!!!!!!!

bob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

are you sure he can use a midsetion from a crossflow???
Yep as the model number he posted is the last year of the crossflow.. I am looking to see if my mids have the "fastrac" trim as this is only difference in crossflow midsections.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Yep as the model number he posted is the last year of the crossflow.. I am looking to see if my mids have the "fastrac" trim as this is only difference in crossflow midsections.

I am pretty sure they didnt make an OCEAN RUNNER in a crossflow.... they were loopers. i have three a 95 a 96 and a 97. the lower units dont even interchange between the looper 60 degree motors and the 90 degree crossflows( based on the interchange charts) the props interchange though!! ha ha

I think the crossflow that year was the special and it was a J115TSXECM( long version )

the J115SXECM is an ocean runner 60 degree looper. i think he has to look for a 1995 and later 60 degree motor for parts

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

That what poster says he has and it is a crossflow. Did you ever get that 115 together ???
http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/52640.cfm

oh the pressure!!not yet!! good thing you shipped so fast huh!! ha ha ha
after hunting season...feb-march

I bought a 1996 115 as well.....

as for the OP on this thread...I think you are mistaken..the model number he wrote does NOT have a "T" in it.... the crossflow has the "T" in it......his model number says LOOPER!!

now, do you think the mid sections are interchangable on the 60 degree looper long versus extra long shafts???seems like a LOT of work!!

I dont know a lot about all motors, but I am becoming an expert on my motors!! DEFACTO!!!!!!!

BOB

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You is correct.. good news is I also have several of those 60? mids too!!!!

joshgabel

Recruit

YES! my motor is a looper.. if that is what the loop-charges sticker de-notes.

so does anyone have a midsection, drive shaft, shifter rod and exhaust housing for sale?

i can also send my perfectly working xlong pieces as partial trade if you want them.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

YES! my motor is a looper.. if that is what the loop-charges sticker de-notes.

so does anyone have a midsection, drive shaft, shifter rod and exhaust housing for sale?

i can also send my perfectly working xlong pieces as partial trade if you want them.
PM faztbullet and see if you can make a deal...he says he has the parts.

good luck

bob