Just bought an 82 Galaxy 205 Bow Rider with AQ120B and 270 Stern drive

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
What do I do now??!! Haha! Silly question I know, let me be more specific. I checked the thing out pretty good before buying, hull is in super shape for its age. Only knicks I've seen on on the back corners above the waterline I'm assuming. Motor started and ran, shifted into forward and reverse no problem and no noise(Nice!!!) trim works, bilge pump there and working, blower motor working. I've looked over a Penta 120 owners guide on their site and have taken in the basics. Bellows seems ok. no holes. Gas tank is aluminum. I plan on draining the gas and inspecting the bottom of the tank. How do I clean? Remove and hose it out? What would be you guys first move with this thing(besides put it on the water, which is my natural inclination) :) I've never owned a boat this big, my first boat was a Gheenoe which I still have. Nor have I had any experience with a stern drive other than what I've gleaned off here. Checking oil first thing. Then what?? :p Thanks for any advise.

I did notice there is a hole in the corner of the front starboard storage spot(under seat cushion) and they didn't have it covered so I'm guessing it got wet. Theres also a round hole in the glass under the front most seat cushion which has taken water(foam is visibly wet). How concerned should I be about this?

captmello

Captain
Re: Just bought an 82 Galaxy 205 Bow Rider with AQ120B and 270 Stern drive now what!?

Re: Just bought an 82 Galaxy 205 Bow Rider with AQ120B and 270 Stern drive now what!?

I would pull the upper gear box and check the ujoints and primary shaft bearings for play.
Change the bellows and rubber impeller regardless of their condition unless you know its been replaced recently.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

without knowing what other mainenance has been done, its hard to say what else needs to be done.

Any holes in the deck ahould be plugged. If the foam is soaked, and/or the deck and stringers are rotten...

Congrats on the new boat!!

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I would pull the upper gear box and check the ujoints and primary shaft bearings for play.
Change the bellows and rubber impeller regardless of their condition unless you know its been replaced recently.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

without knowing what other mainenance has been done, its hard to say what else needs to be done.

Any holes in the deck ahould be plugged. If the foam is soaked, and/or the deck and stringers are rotten...

Congrats on the new boat!!

Thank you! Yeah I figured for $350 I couldn't go wrong. The deck is solid, I think its fiberglass. Whether the foam is soaked and or rotting under it I cannot tell. Should I drill some small holes to see and comes out? What size and wheres the best place to take samples? I'm assuming right up front in the bow, maybe captains chair, along the back? I'll check out your link. Any advise for the best price on good parts like the bellows? Checking auction site now. Should I do the exhaust as well? Thanks for the input.

captmello

Captain

Check in the restoration forum for taking core samples, etc.

the exhaust bellows is not as critical. If its not ripped now, id leave it.

I would change the intake fitting and gasket while the upper is off as it is a regular mainteneance item.

If you don't know what the maintenence history is, a full tuneup is in order as well.

Do yourself a favor and over everything before launching.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Check in the restoration forum for taking core samples, etc.

the exhaust bellows is not as critical. If its not ripped now, id leave it.

I would change the intake fitting and gasket while the upper is off as it is a regular mainteneance item.

If you don't know what the maintenence history is, a full tuneup is in order as well.

Do yourself a favor and over everything before launching.
Yes.. I think I need to find a friend with a heated garage :) And hit the lotto. These parts are adding up. Hmm. Going to go start poking around now. :)

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Both bellows are in great shape, l/u oil nice and clear and topped off, engine oil a little low. Power trim doesn't seem to be working. I'm assuming you need strong charge on battery? I haven't been running the engine. Trim motor clicks and thats it. The L/U is in an Up position. Not enough voltage? PO said he ran all the water out then dumped antifreeze into the seawater pickup. Is this sufficient?? I have a few more days before dip past freezing so.. I spent the day surveying and cleaning the rotten seat boards/boxes and carpet/fixing and removing unecessary wiring under dash and fixing broken connected on fuel gauge. Doesn't look too bad. I'm going to take some core samples tomorrow. Hoping shes not waterlogged. There were a couple of what looked to be unsealed screw holes in the transom. How do I drill to test the transom? Hard to tell how thick it is. Don't want to drill all the way through.

Also, on each side in the bow section of boat, there are little wells both with holes in the corners. Just for drainage? Can these be converted into livewells(wouldn't be very big). Whats the deal with these? Thank you!

And also question about the hour meter. It ticks for a bit after the ignition is shut off. Reads 550 Hours. Is that a lot comparatively?

captmello

Captain

The "power trim" is only a power tilt and cannot be used to trim the boat while moving. It must be all the way down while moving except occationally at idle speed in shallow water. Do not reverse with the outdrive up as it will bounce up and down and potentially damage the ujoints and you won't be able to control the boat in reverse. Take care of the tilt mechanism as it is your friend and an expensive part. Its hard to say why it's not working.

The ujoint bellows should be changed every two years regardless if it looks good.

Pouring antifreeze into the intake doesn't sound very thorough. You have a fresh water cooled engine, meaning the engine itself has antifreeze in it already, but the rest of the cooling system has raw water in it. the raw water pump, heat exchanger, and exhaust manifold have water in them and should be drained. I would check those out just in case.

You can download an owners manual from this site.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/out_of_production_engines/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

The transom is about 2 inches thick. Don't be afraid to read in the restoration forum and/or post additional questions there. this is, after all, the I/O section.;)

550 hours is not a lot, but with a 30+ year old boat, hours don't matter. Maintenance does.

If you have a compression tester, I would check the compression as well.

That should keep you busy for a while.:)

How about some pics???