1985 25hp Johnson

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I have a 1985 Johnson commercial series so it has the older style LU on it, The LU has a hole in it plus it is currently frozen to the exhaust leg and I have tried everything from liquid wrench/BP Blaster/Heat/wedges and nothing can break the back stud free and plus I drilled a hole into the oil reservoir while trying to drill out a broken screw that was holding the anoid plate cover on so now water leaks into the LU and I'm looking for a replacement. Anyways I have been on craigslist/ebay trying to find one and they all seem to be longs shafts mine is a short. So my question is can I use the shift rod (short) from my old LU and put it on another LU that is a long shaft?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 1985 25hp Johnson

Yes it shouldnt be a problem.....you might want to find out what the model number of the donor engine is/was so you can do some crossover checks before you purchase though just to be sure.....as close to yours as you can get (give or take) the better i would think.....possibly a difference in ratios between the commercial and recreational models also, not certain about that though.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your response. Do you think or have you had any experience with having the hole welded up in some fashion to seal the LU again or is it beyond repair? Giving that I could get the LU to drop somehow. The powerhead itself runs flawless but the LU just has some problems.

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks for your response. Do you think or have you had any experience with having the hole welded up in some fashion to seal the LU again or is it beyond repair? Giving that I could get the LU to drop somehow. The powerhead itself runs flawless but the LU just has some problems.

Provided the hole isnt in too critical/difficult of a location.....any good welding shop should be able to repair the casing successfully.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its one if the screws that hold the left side plate on i tried to use a 1/8th drill pit to clear the broken screw and I went to far and it broke into the oil compartment so that created a leak I put a self tap screw with some 3M 5200 on it and I ran the motor seemed not to leak but I know that fix is nor permanent.

Heres a bad pic but where the transom saver is sitting, it is the plate that the transom saver is touching if that makes any sense.
913142.jpg

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point I ment to include that, But I would assume it would disconnect from my old LU and fit the new? This motor has given me nothing but a headache every bolt I try to loosen just breaks..I just want to figure out is it in my realm of fixing or should I just buy another one or what. Thank you.

mark1961

Ensign

Its one if the screws that hold the left side plate on i tried to use a 1/8th drill pit to clear the broken screw and I went to far and it broke into the oil compartment so that created a leak I put a self tap screw with some 3M 5200 on it and I ran the motor seemed not to leak but I know that fix is nor permanent.

Heres a bad pic but where the transom saver is sitting, it is the plate that the transom saver is touching if that makes any sense.[/IMG]

Should be doable.....you would need to make sure ALL of that screw is out of there.....weld it up, drill and retap for the replacement screw.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats what I was thinking...I tried to drill it out but went to far that's how the hole came about in the first place.. Guess to really answer my question I can take it to my local shop and get his opinion/quote. Thanks for your replies, Appreciate it.

mark1961

Ensign

Thats what I was thinking...I tried to drill it out but went to far that's how the hole came about in the first place.. Guess to really answer my question I can take it to my local shop and get his opinion/quote. Thanks for your replies, Appreciate it.

Forgot to mention.....because you have drilled into the casing.....it may have ingested some metal shavings, you will need to clean those out before running it again.....