What would happen if I.............

martin bird

Cadet
As to winterizing. As I read here you seem uniform in instructions as to removing drain plugs, hoses, (some of you) and quickley turning over motor WITHOUT letting it start to purge remaining water. I would never do this (IT WAS AN ACCIDENT) but just imagine that before becoming a member of this forum I removed the drain plugs, and like I did with my past boat, a Yamaha Twin Jet set up, I actually started the boat and revved it up and actually put it in gear for a good 5 seconds or more? Just what if someone were stupid enough to do that, what would I be looking for (damage)now to make my day? (I will eventually learn.....)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: What would happen if I.............

you dont say what you are working on, but cranking an inboard engine would not purge remaining water as you suggest

ziggy

Admiral

you dont say what you are working on
agreed.

what would I be looking for (damage)now to make my day?
impeller damage. specially on my rig (mercruiser mc-1).

i had a yamaha 4 stroke pwc. and that vs. my '75 mercruiser i/o aren't the same animals by any means.

martin bird

Cadet

Sorry. I'm new. It's a Merc 4.3 MPI 220 hp (2010 Glastron GT 205) The following represents similiar things I've read:

"I also then crank my motor over, keep the kill switch off so it doesn't start, and you don't need much, just a short crank to purge any water from the water pump."

I started the motor like I did on the Yamaha and revved it up.

ziggy

Admiral

imho, genII impellers are more robust than the alpha1 versions, but impeller damage is still what i'd look for. impellers are rubber that use the water as lub. w/o water, it's rubber against ss. friction will be the enemy and when it heats up it'll (the rubber impeller) melt and the vanes will get hard and break off.
i don't start my old engine to drain the water out. i open the drain plugs and pull hoses. no need to start it. as we both did with out yamaha jets. don't feel bad. i went from jet to i/o too. i too found it hard to get it in my mind to turn the water on 1st on the i/o and turn it off last. opposite from a jet pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry. I'm new. It's a Merc 4.3 MPI 220 hp (2010 Glastron GT 205) The following represents similiar things I've read:

"I also then crank my motor over, keep the kill switch off so it doesn't start, and you don't need much, just a short crank to purge any water from the water pump."

I started the motor like I did on the Yamaha and revved it up.

Ayuh,.... Donno where ya found that quote, as it's BAD Info....

I haven't seen it yet, as I probably woulda call the poster on it....

I'd pull the impeller, 'n change it out, just to be sure, myself...

martin bird

Cadet

I'm not very mechanical. How hard is it to pull and replace the impeller? Thanks for your help

martin bird

Cadet

P.S. I think there was a little water in the unit based upon water that was under the boat when I was done ( I had opened the drain plugs and at least it seemed like more water was on the floor?) does it really heat up and melt in just a few seconds? Why not steel impellers?

ziggy

Admiral

I'm not very mechanical. How hard is it to pull and replace the impeller?
it's not the easiest thing to do, but if ya got some wrenches and 'the book' (the book is the oem service manaul) there may be hope that ya can do it yourself. iboats folks always wannna help too if ya run into trouble, ;). i'm guessing ya wanna look at service manual #14 for genII drives. follow the instructions for impeller replacement to the tee. it's doable.
does it really heat up and melt in just a few seconds?
maybe just a shade more than a few seconds, but not much more before damage occurs. go look at it and see. knowing it'd been run dry i'd wanna go see it too. just for piece of mind. after ya look at it, replace it. your there and it ain't that easy to go look at.
Why not steel impellers?
?? i'm guessin it's the design of impeller that we need. flex vanes that self prime and force water up stream. the vanes go from straight out, when they are picking up new water, then as they bend over they force the water out. it's not a jet drive. different idea imho. best i can come up with for that question... maybe someone else can do ya better. don't matter though. we got what we got and there's not much to do to mod the idea..

'the book' will also have winterizing steps to comply with along w/ pics of where drain points are at..