Thoughts and opinions from the experienced boater out there on a Grady-White

ph70

Recruit
Hi all-

I'm new to this forum and would like to solicit the thoughts and opinions of those who surely know more than I do.

I'm considering purchasing my first boat- a 1994 Grady White 228 Seafarer. I've had two friends look at it (albeit they are both sailboat guys) and they both say that the hull, and all accessories look like they were well kept and very solid (no hull rot, water damage, etc). The boat is really quite clean, fuel tank looks good, gelcoat good, no major repairs, etc. Here's the downside- it's got a (1994, I presume) Johnson Ocean Runner 225 6 cylinder two stroke that doesn't run, and will most likely require a rebuild. I'm an accomplished m/c mechanic and m/c engine re-builder (two and four strokes) mostly roadracing machines, and racing dirtbikes. Although I have never worked on an outboard marine engine, I'm excited to tear it apart and get to it. That being said, my questions are these:

1) Is it worth it to do a rebuild on this engine? I presume that marine engines are pretty much like m/c engines- just bigger, and with different gearing/transmissions etc?

2) I can get the boat for as is for about $8,000 (US), which includes a decent trailer. Good deal, even with a non-running engine?

3) Boat has been used exclusively in salt water- anything I should look for in particular with the engine?

Any other thoughts/viewpoints opinions will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thoughts and opinions from the experienced boater out there on a Grady-White

Grady's are very good hulls and usually hold their value.

Now, the engine? Careful there! They don't run for any number of reasons: Blown piston, electronics, corroded carbs etc. You could be opening a can of worms--especially since it is a salt water engine. Bolts snap and need drilling and tapping, corrosion affects cast parts. If all goes well and in worst case it needs a rebuild, if you do the work yourself, it is not too expensive. HOWEVER: If it goes south on you, you may just have an anchor.

So: If at all possible, find out the reason the engine is not running.

Personally, I would by default consider the engine as junk and offer only what the hull itself is worth-- If I really liked it. EVERY owner of a non-running or poor running engine ALWAYS states that the engine only needs minor repairs to work. And the other refrain is that it worked when last stored.

I'll respect you in the morning, the check is in the mail, etc. --you heard them all. You might consider walking away from this one.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thoughts and opinions from the experienced boater out there on a Grady-White

I think if the boat it?s clean and most important, fill all your needs and expectation go for it!! Also if you?re reluctant to spend big cash in motor repair / buy, then a little of additional boat viewing is in order...I will try to know what is wrong with that engine, if it is normal wear that needs rebuid, you can have a nice engine to run for a few more years once fixed...some parts are expensive, like ignition components, but you can find with a little luck some good used for a part of the retail price...by the way, I love this walkaround design...

ph70

Recruit

Thanks for the thoughts, please keep them coming!

I AM planning on the engine being junk.....If I get lucky it'll only be something minor. That being said, I am planning on a total teardown/rebuild.......I'm actually looking forward to it, as weird as that sounds, as building engines is something I enjoy doing. So, with that in mind, does the 8,000 ish price tag sound fair for the hull? Like I said in the original post, I'm very new to the boat game.....And, by the way- the owner DOES state that he thinks it needs a total rebuild...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I can't comment on the hull, because I just don't know what a fair price for it would be. Go on The Salty Dog and look at boat prices there. That should give you some idea of the going rates for running boats in the US.

My only other comment on the engine is this: A couple of years ago I bought a V6 Evinrude for 300 bucks. The owner said it was in the boat when he bought it (the hull) and didn't know what was wrong. 300, take it or leave it. I took a gamble expecting to rebuild the engine and could afford to lose 300. Once I started to tear into it, I found that two pistons were melted and the block was cracked. crank and rods were rusted beyond use. Basically it was junk. I still have the power trim which does work, and the lower unit which also works, but selling them has been a hassle. So now, I am just sitting on them. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you!

chriscraft254

Commander

Ok, well, grady has a good name, but like so many others there boats are built with wood stringers incapsulated with fiberglass. So have a surveyor check the boat out and a marine mechanic check out the motor. I personally think that the boat is priced to high in this market knowing that the motor doesn't work.

The seafarer 228 is quite cramped inside also. The 1994 should have the new hull style though which is a plus. To get real and honest and knowledgeable advice here though, is going to require you to post some pics showing the condition of the boat. Condition means everything. Was it left in the water or trailered. Do they have maintenance records for all the maintenance done on the boat. And no, I'm not just talking about the motor. How many hours were on the motor when it blew? Is it bottom painted. What kind of and what year are the electronics that come with it? Do all the systems other than the motor work? What type of trailer and condition is it in? What kind of brakes? Etc Etc Etc. I could go on forever.

People that take care of there boats, usually take care in saving receipts and bookwork for anything added to the vessel. Post some pics so we can help you further.

airshot

Rear Admiral

My opinion would be the price sounds high, however i have not looked at the boat. In my area that would be a quite high pricetag. However you are in a different location...give the professionals the oportunity to check it out. It will be money well spent as they normally give an apprasial (value) as well as condition. I will second the comments made by "chriscraft254'

Airshot

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First, welcome to iBoats...

My step son has been looking for used OBs for our rebuild project. He woul also love to have his own center console. So, he has been looking at boats as well as just engines. It is his belief that the boat almost comes free with the engines.

The moral of the story is that much of the value of an OB boat is in the engines. It is hard to sell a boat right now. It is very hard to sell a boat with no engines. The seller knows that. So, deal with him on it.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hull is not worth 8,000 dollars. An engine that does not run is worth 0.00 dollars--period--especially one that old from a defunct company and for which parts may not be obtainable. Offer 4,000 for the hull and derelict engine.

I might add, we are in a double dip recession, record levels of unemployed and under employed and so many who have completely given up. Houses are worth less than people owe on them. Banks are not loaning money and yet some people persist in thinking their non functional old boat is worth some stupendous amount of money. Sorry, if it were in good shape on a nice trailer with a recent history engine in good running order, then yes, as it is, he is on drugs or something.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You obviously are a transplant. Do yourself a HUGGGGGE favor and go visit some marinas and talk to the mechanics. Better idea show up on Friday afternoon with a case of beer and questions. Who has what for sale. I worked on this boat for years and now he is selling it. We just rebuilt the motor and the owner wants a bigger boat. This one is a POS. I would never buy this. These always fail. You are now living in the boating capital of the world. Make friends with who do it for a living. You have an opportunity most don't.

tpenfield

Staff member

This comes down to a budgeting question. You need to figure out what the boat itself is worth. Consider the engine to be 'free'. Use NADA.com for approximate values, etc.

Then, it is a matter of figuring out how much would a rebuild cost, or even just buying a used engine. With that totalled up, does it fit into your budget, and could you actually buy something in running condition for the same money.

Often an first time buyer will look for something in the lower price range that has issues and not understand fully the costs involved.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

1) Is it worth it to do a rebuild on this engine? I presume that marine engines are pretty much like m/c engines- just bigger, and with different gearing/transmissions etc?
No, it's not worth it. You can't give away a carbed 2 stroke anymore. It would hurt your re-sale value come that time. You would be better off putting the money into a new/newer motor.

2) I can get the boat for as is for about $8,000 (US), which includes a decent trailer. Good deal, even with a non-running engine?

The answer will vary from OK deal to great deal but need more info. Hardtop, full curtains, overhead electronics box? What kind of trailer? Had moisture readings taken on it? Thru hulls and scuppers been changed out yet?

3) Boat has been used exclusively in salt water- anything I should look for in particular with the engine?

Any other thoughts/viewpoints opinions will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Assume the engine is trash. Infact, I'd bet good money that the block is badly erroded in the water passages into the heads and the block is at the end of its usefull life or getting there in a hurry.

ph70

Recruit

Ok, thanks for the replies and insights to everyone who responded. You have given me some valuable information to chew on, and I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna pass on this one, as the owner claims he has no knowledge of any prior maintenance, no records, etc. Plus, I found another one that's just slightly more expensive, with a 2000 Yamaha, that come with ALL the Mx records. And it runs like a champ. Thanks again.