can i get some flooring recommendations

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice
Can i get some recommendations for non-skid flooring on my boat. I'm in the process of replacing my floor and was going to replace the carpet, but then i saw a picture of someones boat the used some sort of bilge kote floor coating and thought it looked great. My problem is that I've read a few reviews of the bilge coat that says it yellows. I also have 3 small children that i dont want them sliding all over the place. If i need to just stick to carpet, i understand, but just hate to have carpet since it holds moisture. I am hoping someone can chime in with personal experience and/or pictures.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: can i get some flooring recommendations

gelcoat + non slip/sand... paint + non slip/sand... nautolex marine vinyl... durabak...

Check out my thread. my floor is just gelcoat rolled on with a fuzzy roller and not sanded... good traction even when wet

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice

I was at Home Depot buying some deck paint and seen this non skid paint called "Restore". I'm going back to buy it to coat my parents stairs of their deck for added safety for them. But when i was looking at it, I believe it said it could be used to non-skid boat deck surfaces too. They had samples and it looked very durable. I'm not sure how it would work out for you but it might be worth checking out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bob. welcome to iboats ! the best place on the net for anything boating !

gelcoat + non slip/sand... paint + non slip/sand... nautolex marine vinyl... durabak...

Check out my thread. my floor is just gelcoat rolled on with a fuzzy roller and not sanded... good traction even when wet

with kids....you want a rug. if you gellcoat like was mentioned above, you can carpet over that without worries......the gellcoat is really good barrier that wont discolor for many years. nor will it let a wet carpet ruin its foundation.

gellcoat is not as simple as paint.....it needs a catalyst to do its stuff.... 2% mekp. so before you paint with a fuzzy roller. you have to miz the waxed gellcoat with the mekp really good,,,,,but once its rolled on....(its the same price as good deck paint) its there forever.

chriscraft254

Commander

Don't know what boat you are looking at doing this to, but checking out Kiwi Grip might be a good solution. I don't like the additives like sand or silocone pellets etc that you add to paint because it will wear through eventually. The kiwi grip is a true non skid that works wether wet or dry. It was originally made for boats in New Zealand. If you check out classicmako.com you will see many that have used it. I coated my parents houseboat decks with it. Needs to have a base coat to adhere to. Gel coat or paint is fine. The nice thing about it is you can tint it to any color you want. We did white on white here but it still looks like a two tone because of the texture and different shade of white. This applies after the decks are painted and finished. Heres a pic of it applied to the houseboat decks. First pic will give you an idea of the texture. Comes with a textured roller. You can make it as aggressive as you want. Has a rubbery type feel to it when dry.

Newboatpics418-1.jpg

Newboatpics400-1.jpg

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice

i spent a ton of time last night reading reviews on the kiwi grip and they all were great. That may be my best choice.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was at Home Depot buying some deck paint and seen this non skid paint called "Restore". I'm going back to buy it to coat my parents stairs of their deck for added safety for them. But when i was looking at it, I believe it said it could be used to non-skid boat deck surfaces too. They had samples and it looked very durable. I'm not sure how it would work out for you but it might be worth checking out.

I talked to HD yesterday about this stuff and it sounds pretty good and only around $40 for a 2 gallon kit. I'm looking at this a bit closer. It can be tinted with earth tones right in the store.

Huron Angler

Admiral

x4 vote for Nautolex marine vinyl deck covering, from defender.com

Great product, no UV damage, great look, and very non-slip.:)

halfmoa

Ensign

I just looked into this and it seems like precisely what I want. Easy application? Check. Custom tinting? Check. Less than 100 bucks? Check. I'm going to Home Depot on my way home tonight to check this stuff out!

halfmoa

Ensign

I just looked into this and it seems like precisely what I want. Easy application? Check. Custom tinting? Check. Less than 100 bucks? Check. I'm going to Home Depot on my way home tonight to check this stuff out!

I went to home depot and ran into a guy who was basically looking at the same types of products that I was. I sparked up a conversation with him. Turns out he's used Restore on his deck. He said it's great aside of HOLDING moisture and feeling like you're walking on a gravel road...

Oh well, back to the drawing board

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just spoke with tech service about Deck Restore, they did not recommend applying it to my epoxied deck. As a matter of fact they said to remove the epoxy. Strike 3.

I'm ordering Nautolex today.

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice

I think i've about sold myself on the kiwi grip. Got tons of great reviews and according to the manufacturer can be applied straight to the floor.

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice

I just caught up on my DVR shows, one of them being Ship Shape TV from Fri. They used a product called Ultra Tuff, It was recycled tired ground up, rolled on like a paint. Looked real simple, waterproof, chemical proof & resistant to salt. They used it on a pontoon boat right on the plywood. the samples they showed were pliable like a sheet of rubber, expands in the heat, contracts in the winter and doesn't crack. Just wanted to let you know, I thought of your post when watching the show today. Good luck on whichever product you choose!!