Transom rebuild....

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, well I bought a boat around a month ago and have been mainly focusing on fixing the motor which is now almost done, so now I want to start paying attention to the transom. Some Pics below:

IMGA0043.jpg

IMGA0042.jpg

IMGA0040.jpg

Basically it feels solid, no dull noises when tapping, punched it, kicked it, smacked it with a steel mallet, it's as hard as a rock. No flex but then again it has a big metal slab on it possibly hiding issues.
The transom panel looks as though it's coming away from the splashwell. I don't really want to rebuild it but then again if it needs one I'll have to rebuild it (DIY Attempt next season). But I've been told that I might not need to as the damage doesn't look that bad. What do you guys think? Can I just repair/seal the top crack or will I need to rebuild the whole thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom cracked across top

Welcome to iBoats!!

The first sign of a bad transom and a Band Aid fix is the metal plate on the back. They Never work. They Might give you another season but inevitably the transom will fail as yours has. IMHO, you need to pop the cap or at the very least cut it in front of the splashwell, remove it, and then remove and replace the transom. You will have to remove a portion of the rear Sole/Deck/Floor to get to all of the transom. Does the Sole/Deck/Floor have any soft spots? Typically when the transom has issues so does the deck and the stringers below. Don't be surprised when you remove the deck that you find soft rotting stringers as well. What year is she? What length? What size motor?

We're here to help so give us the info and we can lead you to the solutions.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There's 1.5" of plywood inside there, and it's rotten. You gotta get it out, ground down to a nice clean surface, installed new sealed wood, and glass it back up. As mentioned, splitting the top and bottom halves of the boat are the best was to gain access.

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome to iBoats!!

The first sign of a bad transom and a Band Aid fix is the metal plate on the back. They Never work. They Might give you another season but inevitably the transom will fail as yours has. IMHO, you need to pop the cap or at the very least cut it in front of the splashwell, remove it, and then remove and replace the transom. You will have to remove a portion of the rear Sole/Deck/Floor to get to all of the transom. Does the Sole/Deck/Floor have any soft spots? Typically when the transom has issues so does the deck and the stringers below. Don't be surprised when you remove the deck that you find soft rotting stringers as well. What year is she? What length? What size motor?

We're here to help so give us the info and we can lead you to the solutions.

View attachment 120608

Hi thanks for the reply!

So I need to remove part of my splashwell to access the wood inside? The floor does have some soft spots around half way up. The hull is a 1990 Pride premier 15.8ft and the motor is a 100HP 1972 Evinrude V4. What happens if I take it out on the water like this and wait until next season to fix it? Is it dangerous? Thanks again!!

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There's 1.5" of plywood inside there, and it's rotten. You gotta get it out, ground down to a nice clean surface, installed new sealed wood, and glass it back up. As mentioned, splitting the top and bottom halves of the boat are the best was to gain access.

Exactly what I was afraid of haha. What do you mean by top and bottom halves exactly? I can't get the picture in my head.

Cheers

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This might make it clearer:

removing_cap.jpg

And unfortunately it is pretty unsafe to use.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or this... Just cut off the splashwell, and then glass the gunwales back together when you're done.

CuttingoffBackSplash.jpg

Yeah, there's no way I'd go out on a lake under full power with that transom. 10 mph or a Trolling motor, Maybe!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you've got soft spots in the deck, I sounds like you may be in for a full refit.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like I said before, when you get the deck out, you want to make sure and core sample the stringers too! They are usually bad and in need of replacement as well. If she needs a total rebuild, then it is much easier to Pop the Cap like EZ shows in his pic.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

What happens if I take it out on the water like this and wait until next season to fix it? Is it dangerous?

Depends on the extent of the damage, and your luck. Best case- Nothing happens. Worst case- Your transom, motor and all, removes itself from the boat while underway.... I've seen it happen. Doesn't take long to sink :)

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Depends on the extent of the damage, and your luck. Best case- Nothing happens. Worst case- Your transom, motor and all, removes itself from the boat while underway.... I've seen it happen. Doesn't take long to sink :)

Hmmm I might start drilling holes to get an idea on how bad it is. Fishing season starts in 2 weeks and I don't want to miss any of it!! Seeing as I'm doing the floor too I may as well pop the cap and leave the splashwell intact. Do I repair the transom from the inside or outside? I realise I'll have to cut one of the fibreglass skins regardless but is the inner or outer the better choice?

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just drilled a few holes quickly, the sawdust is white to brown in colour and slightly damp, towards the very bottom of the transom though the sawdust is soaked and a dirty white colour, it was very wet compared to the top of the transom.

mark1961

Ensign

Seeing as I'm doing the floor too I may as well pop the cap and leave the splashwell intact. Do I repair the transom from the inside or outside? I realise I'll have to cut one of the fibreglass skins regardless but is the inner or outer the better choice?

If you intend to remove the cap it would be better to keep it as complete as possible.....including the splashwell if you can. The transom is better off done from the inside, you wont be able to access it completely with the splashwell in place.....

I have seen transoms successfully repaired from the outside by pros on our side of the pond.....cap does not need to be removed.....nobody seems to be keen on the idea around here though.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just drilled a few holes quickly, the sawdust is white to brown in colour and slightly damp, towards the very bottom of the transom though the sawdust is soaked and a dirty white colour, it was very wet compared to the top of the transom.

Soaked transom wood at the bottom is bad news, and so is soft spots in the decking. The bad thing about those old fiberglass boats is that they rot from the bottom of the inside of the hull up, meaning that by the time the deck gets soft you have even softer mush that used to be wood below it.

Your boat has a bad cancer below the deck.

If you take it out on the water without fixing it, this or worse could happen:

IMAG0145.jpg

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have seen transoms successfully repaired from the outside by pros on our side of the pond.....cap does not need to be removed.....nobody seems to be keen on the idea around here though.

Key word emphasized here... Repair is entirely possible from the outside- BUT far more difficult to do- and even more difficult to do RIGHT, especially for a first timer or someone not to familiar with fiberglass construction and what gives it strength. That is why a repair from the INSIDE is usually recommended.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I 2nd that ^^^^. Even the PROS on here don't recommend outside transom repairs. The conditions you have found indicate IMHO a total rebuild of the transom and I'm fairly certain you will find stringer rot as well. If you want to fish this season, you should be looking for a more reliable boat. This one is not gunna be ready.

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I 2nd that ^^^^. Even the PROS on here don't recommend outside transom repairs. The conditions you have found indicate IMHO a total rebuild of the transom and I'm fairly certain you will find stringer rot as well. If you want to fish this season, you should be looking for a more reliable boat. This one is not gunna be ready.

hmmm I might just buy a better hull, as the motor and trailer are great and this hull isn't really worth anything. Seeing as the hull basically stuffed I was thinking of cutting out the fibreglass on the inside of the transom to expose the wood so I could see exactly how rotten it is, just incase it has a few months left in it or something. If I do this and the transom checks out to be useable would I need to re fibreglass it for strength purposes? Basically I'd just want to leave the wood exposed until I scrap it in a few months and find another hull.

Cheers.

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys!!!!

I've decided to actually keep this hull and fix it up, I've got the next 2 weeks off which is my timeframe, I want to start on the transom asap but some things are confusing me, if someone could please help clear them up? I'm aware of the whole process and have pretty much everything covered thanks to the search function, it's just a few simple things, I can't get my head around!!

Regarding removing the cap/top of boat do I need to angle grind it all off, or is there a joint behind the gunnel rubber that I split with a crowbar or something?
Secondly once the cap is off and I remove the floor, how do I access the transom wood? I'm assuming I need to cut out the entire inside fibreglass skin that's covering it, will I have to remove any stringers (provided they're good condition)?
And finally, is the cap/inner transom skin structural?

Thanks again,

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well, lets see where to start.

#1 I'm not real sure what type of boat you have (Unless I missed it somewhere). But the joint will be betweent the hull and cap hiden behind the rub rail. You'll need to remove the rub rail and there you'll find either rivets or screws securing the two halves together. There will be (or should be anyway) a sealant in the joint that will have to be cut loose. If it's silicone then it's a breeze, if it's epoxy then its a little more work but very doable.

#2 The "transom wood" is as you said..encapsulated in fiberglass. So, yes you'll have to grind the inner skin off the wood to access and remove it. The more rotten it is the better at this point, since really rotten wood removes very easily. If it's just so-so rotten then more grining and some prying is in store. Either way, there is nothing you'll run into that can't be addressed here at iboats.

#3 Is the cap and inner skin strucual? YES!!

iboats is by far the best assembly of experience on then net...bar none.

Good luck and keep us posted.

CW

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can you post some pics of the overall boat?