Oil for 50hp Johnson

HPfishin

Recruit
Hi guys,
So I'm new to the forum and I was just wondering if you guys could help me out a little bit, I just purchased a 2000 Polar Saltwater Series with a 2000 Johnson 50hp engine, and I have no clue if I can run synthetic oil in it or not. I'm not that great with engines, I just know that I want maximum power and engine performance getting out to the fishing hole. If any of you could help me out and let me know what kind of oil to use that would be great, thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil for 50hp Johnson

Welcome to the forums, to start with, It's a 2 or 4 strokes engine ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really need the model number, HPfishin. We need to know if it is 2 stroke or 4 stroke, as well as other stuff.

HPfishin

Recruit

Sorry, it's a 2 stroke, thought I mentioned that, I will check on the actual number as soon as I get the chance to go look at the motor

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

2 strokes engines only uses SAE 80/90 gear box oil inside tail and TCW-3, 2 strokes oil to mix with gasoline in 50:1 ratio if it's a non self mixing engine. You can find TCW-3 synthethic oils, but any other standard good quality oil at correct mixing ratio will work same.

Happy Boating

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil is about $35 a gallon at BPS and other outlets- it's all I use.

robert graham

Admiral

Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil is about $35 a gallon at BPS and other outlets- it's all I use.
That's what I use and have real good luck with it, less smoke and carbon!...costs a good bit more, but I tend to keep my boats/motors forever and take the best care of 'em!:)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I would use the OMC super premium as it has the additives to keep engine clean,is a synthetic.has the TC-W3RL spec and about the same price as Pennzoil. Part # 765719 and google for best price.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nah, I vote for the super-duper-extra-special full-Acme Brand. It is "duper-extra-special" better than Fazt's oil (smile).

Another oil thread?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I would use the OMC super premium as it has the additives to keep engine clean,is a synthetic.has the TC-W3RL spec and about the same price as Pennzoil. Part # 765719 and google for best price.

What does the RL ending stands for, have see it on the label of Amalie TCW-3RL, any clue ?

Happy Boating