hustler questions

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was thinking of buying a spare prop and saw that the hustler is on sale here on iboats. i've heard they outperform standard aluminum. are they cupped at all? progrssive pitch? was wondering because i need to know if i should drop pitch if i order it. i'm currently running a yamaha 60, 19 pitch yamaha aluminum prop, 2.33-1 gears. wot rpms 5500-5700, top end 37-38. i would like to at least stay close to where i'm at now performance wise. should i go with a 19 or drop to a 17 when ordering the hustler?

bryonthefly

Seaman
Re: hustler questions

Turning Point has a good prop selector tool on thier website, you might want to run your numbers through that. It was spot on for my boat.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

My 13p Hustler was cupped but I only got a 100rpm increase. I picked up 1mph and holeshot is much better.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was thinking of buying a spare prop and saw that the hustler is on sale here on iboats. i've heard they outperform standard aluminum. are they cupped at all? progrssive pitch? was wondering because i need to know if i should drop pitch if i order it. i'm currently running a yamaha 60, 19 pitch yamaha aluminum prop, 2.33-1 gears. wot rpms 5500-5700, top end 37-38. i would like to at least stay close to where i'm at now performance wise. should i go with a 19 or drop to a 17 when ordering the hustler?

Cleve, I stuck with the same pitch when I got my Turning Point Hustler, it was replacing a Merc Black Max and I gained 200 rpm and 2mph, much better holeshot and way less cavitaion in the turns. Awesome prop imo, here is my review I wrote last year, it talks about engine height and some other topics too..................Irv964
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269778&highlight=my+review

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Strange--- Not two hours ago I was looking at my friend's brand new Hustler. 13 1/4 X 17 pitch, three blade. High quality, very well made with uniform blades and good design No excess flashing or ragged edges etc indicative of poor workmanship. cupped trailing edge and vented hub. I liked the internal hub kit, again, I thought it was well thought out. It appears to have positive rake which I think --not sure-- adds to bow lift. I can't comment on performance yet as I have not seen it run on his boat.

Thought enough of it that I would buy one for my engine if I needed another prop.

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the reason i asked about pitch was because i purchased a stilleto advantage 1 13.25 x 21 thinking i would be around 5000-5300 rpms (4500-5500 range, @5600 with aluminum 13 x 19) and my top end would increase. i did gain 2 mph but rpms dropped to 4500. i could not believe it. after reading posts here on the forum i was lead to believe that when switching to a cupped, more effecient prop i should drop pitch or at least stay the same. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, i'm still learning.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I think Turning point takes the cupping into consideration when they stamp the pitch. As stated I switched about a month ago and could not be happier.

cribber

Lieutenant

I did the same since Iboats had a great deal and picked up a Hustler 14.25x21 for my 2008 Glastron GT 185 3.0l as a backup and OEM replacement. It's definitely better than the Volvo OEM since it's vented and slightly cupped which is noticeably better than the stock Volvo.

My main prop is a SS Stiletto Bay II four blade 14.24x20 which has better hole shot but I do give up a couple of MPH on top speed since this setup dropped me from 4600 to 4400 depending on water conditions and trim. Still in the sweet spot for my Volvo's RPM range of 4200-4600.

Anyway don't change your pitch drastically since these are sportier props and each setup is different.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

My RPMs went the opposite of most other on here. I DID pick up 1mph but lost 200rpm going from a OMC 11.75x17 to a hustler 11.75x17. Switched to a 12x15 hustler and picked up 200rpm and another mph over the stock OMC prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My 13p Hustler was cupped but I only got a 100rpm increase. I picked up 1mph and holeshot is much better.

I think a 1 mph increase on a pontoon is signifigant.
There are planing boats that don't make that.