Glastron Gt 185

mergatroid

Cadet
Hi all
I have a 2007 Glastron GT185 with A 4.3 L Mercruiser I/O. I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with "blowback" while refuelling & if so is there anything I can do? There seems to be no kinks or restrictions in the vent line.

Also, after leaving my boat at the dock for a week or so I came back to discover a couple of hairline cracks in the frame of the glove compartment just below the windshield. Any ideas or suggestions?

My depth gauge sometimes "sticks" at number & flashes this number on & off. It seems to reset itself after a few minutes, acts normal, then will do it again. Any speed. Is this normal?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

whitey224

Seaman
Re: Glastron Gt 185

I have a 2010 GT 185. Same problems with fueling and depth gauge. I just fuel slowly when I know it is almost full. My depth gauge sicks sometimes but only for a few seconds. Seems to be at faster speeds in rough water mostly.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most boats will 'blowback' some fuel when they are full. When you are getting to the top of the tank, ease up on the nozzle, that is the only thing you can do if you want to fill the tank. As for the depth guage, that's normal, what happens is that there is too much distortion under the transducer for it to register accurately so it will flash the last depth until it can read properly again. By distortion, I mean bubbles created by the hull passing through the water or going too fast. BTW, what kind of top speed you guys getting?? I have a 2001 Larson 190 (18.5ft). Larson and Glastron use the same hull, the top half of the boat is different.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

my 1981 Glastron SX-190 is extreamly hard to fill with gas- I see vapors from the vent and imagine it is ok. it just takes time. The boat was completley redone here on iboats and belive the line is good.

freezerman

Cadet

I have a 2006 GXL185 with 4.3l. I do get fueling blowback also. I have seen a fuel vent whistle I am going to try next year. I used to get 51mph indicated on speedo. I changed to a four blade comprop and dropped to around 48mph with 4 people.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Try turning the fuel nozzle upside down if you can. Try anything as far as angle and speed. Just might help.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as far as the spider cracks in the gellcoat by the glove box.

we need pics.

the causes of gellcoat crazing are

too thick or too thin.
improperly catylized gellcoat
stress or impact.

im guessing that this is a situation of too thick, gell will some times pool in the area by the windsheild do to that area being a low point in the mold during spraying

mergatroid

Cadet

Thanks for the input. The cracks seem to be in the actual plastic frame of the glove box, just behind the windshield. No gelcoat right there. Will try to send some pics if I can figure out how to attach them.

mergatroid

Cadet

The best I've got is 50 mph on the speedo. Don't know how accurate that is, but felt like we were flying!

mergatroid

Cadet

Sorry, Oops!
I can't figure out how to reduce the size of a picture in the forum as I can in my email program. Can you either tell me how or send me your email address?
Thanks, Mergatroid

mergatroid

Cadet

Thanks to the moderator's advise, I think I have my picture attached. As you can see, the crack is in the plastic frame of the glove compartment. I have no idea how this could have happened. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1742.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that is a molded or vaccu form plastic........they crack all the time..

sorry........they do

mergatroid

Cadet

Thanks for the in-put. Obviously not what I wanted to hear. I've never run into this problem before. You would think that if it's an on-going problem, the manufacturers would do something about it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the in-put. Obviously not what I wanted to hear. I've never run into this problem before. You would think that if it's an on-going problem, the manufacturers would do something about it.

they do......they will sell you a replacment part !

if you are not shy.....and want to try something new.....you can vaccuform one your self.