Adding trailer brakes???

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at an 06 Dakota 4x4 V8 HO Quad . . . the Forester clutch doesn't really like to pull my boat up the ramp. At the same time I have to come to terms that my boat/trailer combo might well be pushing the 3000 lb limit so I've been trying to do my research on adding trailer brakes to my existing trailer. I have gotten very confused with the variety of brake parts on offer out there in trailerland.

Is it possible to buy a simple package deal? If not, which parts does one need? :confused:

If I am successful in getting wifey onside for the Dakota (she will lose her Soob) it will have the appropriate plug with the tow package it comes with.

Are there easy answers for this?:redface:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Adding trailer brakes???

As long as the axle has mounting flanges, adding a brake package is relatively easy. (Yes, complete packages are readily available from many sources.)

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's still easy (but a bit more expensive) if there are no brake flanges. Just buy a new axle with brakes pre-installed.

I had dealer add surge drum brake package on my trailer when I bought it-- He said he would never do that again. I think that surge brakes are not legal in all states - Be aware you have to get out and lock-out the surge when backing up any distance pushing the trailer - Not sure how electric would work in a boat trailer in the water from what I have read I gues that is solved. Although I am happy with my surge I would likly go electric if I did it again..

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you ever plan on using it in salt water do not use electric, use kodiak disc brakes. put them on my trailer and they work fine.
u-haul has surge brakes on their trailers.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Electric brakes work great if you're only launching in fresh water, but like all drum brakes they will have a limited service life if exposed to saltwater. I suspect that electric brake magnets would be more susceptible to corrosion damage than hydraulic wheel cylinders.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Be aware you have to get out and lock-out the surge when backing up any distance pushing the trailer
Most surge drum brakes are designed to allow backing but if you do have a problem, you should just by a lockout solenoid and your problem is solved.

yep I just get out and lock out the surge, there is a lever no big deal, and I am to cheep to buy the lock out solenoid:) give me a chace to look before I back up to not that I'm blind or any thing

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses.

I am nowhere near salt water with this boat so I will do a little more research on the difference between surge and electric. I don't actually know anything about either at this point.

superbenk

Commander

I've been very happy with my Kodiak surge discs. Got the who package including actuator & back-up solenoid for about $550. Installed it in an afternoon. Ordered the whole thing from championtrailers.com

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

With surge brakes you can tow your rig with anything that is capable of towing, with electric the tow vehicle must be wired with a controller or you have no brakes. With electric you can adjust the amount of braking with the controller. I have surge drum brakes on my trailer and tow about the same weight as you and am pleased with my set up. If you are leaning towards surge brakes you may find this piece about disc vs drum to be interesting.

http://www.championtrailers.com/DrumVsDiscBrakeArtcl.htm

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

If you are leaning towards surge brakes you may find this piece about disc vs drum to be interesting.
http://www.championtrailers.com/DrumVsDiscBrakeArtcl.htm

Very informative - thanks for posting that! Never really thought about the differences between drum and disc - I just keep hearing that disc is better. The truth is, it appears to be weight dependant.

It was also interesting how they were pushing for brakes on all axles.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

For that load, and because you are in freshwater, surge drum will be fine. I did the same thing, I had a trailer with no brakes, replaced the axle and installed the complete surge drum system (this was about 7 years ago, when disc systems were still new and some were troublesome). They make a big difference, esp with my 98 Jeep that has 4 11" disc brakes, my 07 Jeep has much bigger brakes but the surge brakes help a lot. Drum brakes can stop better than disc on a light trailer such as yours because they are self-energizing, disc brakes are not. To make em last, put some syn brake grease under the rubber dust cover to prevent the piston from corroding and put some good water proof grease on the adjuster threads and the pivot points for the brake shoes. Disc brakes can have problems in salt water too, from what I have seen here in Long Island.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

so is the electric actuatator up by the hitch like a surge actuator?

No. The controller is mounted inside the vehicle. This has the added bonus of allowing the driver to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes, which can be very useful for stopping a trailer from swaying.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

These replies are very helpful. I am trying to locate an Ontario company that will help. I think I'll begin my "live" inquiries at an RV dealer.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I am getting a smaller tow vehicle for my little boat. I have the flanges on my hubs, so it is pretty simple to do.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, most of my boating is done in salt water.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your truck is set up for it, electric brakes are easiest to install, easiest to maintain, and cheapest to install. I have trailers with surge drum and electric drum. I like the electric best. In fact, I'd like to put a swinging tongue on my Sea Ray trailer but I'd have to cut the brake line, put in a flex coupling, mess with the brake fluid. If it had electric brakes I wouldn't have to do anything except move the wires out of the way. I use a Tekonsha P3 inertia contoller (not a timed controller). If your trailer has flanges you can install electric brakes in less than an hour. I've seen complete kits online...