115 Carbs on a 75 3 Cylinder?

goldstripe

Recruit
First, I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed in this forum. I've been around here for years and never needed to post with such great info available via search....that is until now.

I have what i believe is a 1994 Merc 75 ELPTO TR on my Tracker and am thinking of rebuilding the carbs and fuel pump this year. I got my handy dandy manual (from this site) and the part # for a 75 doesn't match what's in my engine. See pic below:
Carb.jpg

According to the manual, the 33 carb is for a 115 so would i buy rebuild kit for the WME 33 or what's supposed to be on the motor which is WME 29? I was thinking that the bodies are the same and I should buy the kit for the 29 and use the settings based on the 29 but wanted to confirm first.

There's no serial placard on the transom bracket but I snapped a pic of the welsh plug. To me it looks like it's 0G050010 but it also looks like it's been 'monkey'd with' if you ask me. What do you think? I appreciate your help!!

WelshPlug.jpg

Cowling.jpg

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 115 Carbs on a 75 3 Cylinder?

Buy the kit that matches the sn on the carb.

goldstripe

Recruit

Buy the kit that matches the sn on the carb.

Thanks MercMan, I was leaning that way but didn't know if having 115 carb jets/needles would impact something else since that's quite a difference over the labelled 75hp. Did that plug look original to you?

MercMan82

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a reason to believe that it has been tampered with other than "it looks suspicious". If the motor was running fine before with those carbs then I wouldnt worry about it. If ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind. :)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

All the carb castings for these motors are the same, just the idle passages and emulsion tubes are different between hp's. When you get them off you will see a number stamped into the side flange of carb like 29-1 for you engine and all the carb kits are the same.....

goldstripe

Recruit

I have no reason to suspect it's been tampered with other than it's old and probably changed hands a bunch of times before I got it. I wanted to rebuild the carbs because it's not running great at idle but i may play with the idle mixture and/or fuel pump before i haul off and pull them. Hence the need for confirmation on which settings to use based on the carb model.

If I do decide to pull them this winter for rebuild, I'll take a look at the flange. The manual lead me to believe the number right under the WME was the one but I appreciate you clearing that up for me Fatzbullet.

At WOT the 18' Tracker does ~52mph on GPS with just me in it with no issues which is plenty fast for that boat. It's rated for a 90 but i can't imagine how squirally it would be trimmed up.