Radar for smaller vessels

Hi Guy's
I'm looking into getting a radar unit for my 28ftr and was wondering if any of you would know where I could find a unit that would work for my boat, I use it to go to Channel Islands and Santa Rosa Islands off the coast of Santa Barbara and when the fog rolls in it comes real fast and thick.
Hope to find a used or less than expensive one, where should I look or do you have one for sale?
Thanks for your time

Marauder twin 28

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Radar for smaller vessels

Can you add radar to the electronics package you have now? I have radar on my boat and don't use it much down here. If I were to do it again, I would have two displays, one for radar and one for the chartplotter. I really don't like the overlay.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, my boat is only 23 ft.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

A good friend of mine has a Garmin 4210 with radar on a 25' Carver. He got a really nice package deal. I think it was his birthday present to himself.

Are you wanting to sell your radar unit? if so send me some pic's and what you would like to get for it?
I don't have anything to add it to there to old. nothing with displays

Let me know,Thanks

your boat isn't small to put a radar on. i know a few people that have radars on 22' cc and a 18' cc. no boats to small for a radar.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a JRC 1500 on my 24 footer, saved my bacon more than once when the fog rolled in.

chriscraft254

Commander

I bought all new electronics this past season. I went with the lowrance BR-24 Radar. The new Broadband radars are the way to go imo if looking for close quarters radar signiture.

Simrad is the parent company of most the digital radars out there. So any brand you pick, is going to be the pretty much the same with these units. I liked the Lowrance because you can add things as you go to the network. If you go to there site, they have a diagram of all the things you can network together through nmea2000.

I run 2 Hds-7 Insight combo units. This way I can split screen radar and chart plotter on one, and depth finder/down scan on the other. I have been very impressed with the radar so far. Fog and rain on old style units sometimes interferred with the radar,no problems with the broadband.

I did a thread on this on another forum if you would like to take a look. Just basically showes real time capability of this unit. http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39964 Pm me if you would like the info on who I bought it from.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you wanting to sell your radar unit? if so send me some pic's and what you would like to get for it?
I don't have anything to add it to there to old. nothing with displays

Let me know,Thanks

Not for sale.