Know what sucks?

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer
Waking up to find your brand new pickup truck has stolen out of your yard when it's time to get your boat to winterize it......I'm sick to my stomach.:mad::confused:

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Know what sucks?

That sucks man. Hope the cops catch the sob.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, that certainly qualifies as sucking.

The Rooster

Ensign

Every dog has his day, "MP". Hope he gets whats coming to him real soon !!! You can use my truck anytime !!!

Adam76

Seaman

Wow that sucks, hopefully it gets figured out.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

A case of major suck. Hope they get him and you get your truck back.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Truck 001.jpgThanks to all for the regrets. Not sure how this is going to pan out. Came home last night about eight from grocery shopping with the wife. Opened the garage overhead door and unlocked the door going into the house. I put the keys in my coat pocket and went back to the truck. Climbed in the drivers seat and got my wallet and cell phone. Got out and opened the back crew cab door and started unloading groceries. Got done with that and hit the door button to lock the truck. Went in the garage and hung my coat up on a chair and closed the overhead. Got up this morning and it was gone. Checked my coat for the keys and they were gone too. Dont know if I dropped them in the grass next to the truck or if they fell out of my pocket when I got back into the truck. I just know there gone and so is the truck. Never had a vehicle stolen and have no idea how the insurance works or what to expect. No broken glass in the driveway so I can only assume they found the keys. I'm still sick to my stomach....

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ouch, ive heard the insurance companies sometimes pitch a fit if the keys were available to the thief. Hope it all works out for you. Thieves are the scum of the earth!

chriscraft254

Commander

Assuming your right, take a ride in your other vehicle and look around in areas close to you. My neighbors truck was stolen about a week ago. The theives went through 6 other cars before they found one with keys in the glove box. That was my neighbors truck. They found the truck at an apartment complex down the road. Nothing was taken out of the other vehicles, gps's, radars,etc. Nothing was touched. Kids were the likely culprit.

My point is, it was probably kids walking around your neighborhood that tripped across the keys. They probably just took it for a joy ride and dumped it somewhere. I would search around locally to you and see what you can find. Sorry for your troubles man.

Also, post it on craigslist as being stolen and offer small reward.

southkogs

Staff member

You feel so violated when that happens - almost as bad as having your house broken into. Even worse, I think, in a smaller town where it feels like everyone knows each other. Sorry to hear of it.

When you're ready for a little "I wish I could have" laugh, Google "trunk monkey theft retrieval system." Should be the first video that pops up.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If they have your keys then they also have your house keys do they? Sorry to add another worry.
Most thieves can get in a vehicle without breaking a window. It is truly a sickening feeling when someone violates your security. Good Luck.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So to answer the question of how it works from here. File a police report stating the truck was stolen, call your insurance company and notify them of the theft, give them the police report number, and if its not recovered within 30 days they send a check to the lienholder for current value. If your loan is greater then the value of the truck then you'll end up having to pay the difference unless you have GAP coverage. If the value is greater then your loan then you get to keep the difference. Hope this helps...good luck and I'm sorry this happened to you.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a Chevy/GMC... Doesn't it have OnStar? They can locate it w/ that.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I called onstar and since I have only had the truck for a month and never activated it, she said there was nothing they could do. I asked if they could activate it now and she said something about having to be in the vehicle with the keys. I already changed the locks on my doors. My wife's Nissan Rogue keys were also on there so we are heading to Nissan to see about having her key fob recoded. We took a little ride yesterday around the neighborhood and looked in the woods to no avail. One of the disadvantages of living here is the immense undeveloped areas with a lot of dirt roads leading to nowhere. I literally have not eaten or slept from feeling sick. Nothing, and I mean nothing has ever effected me like this has, and I do feel violated. My 10 year old daughter made me put a chair in front of the front door even though I changed the locks. She asked nothing but burglar questions all day yesterday. If people only knew the impact of their decisions.....

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man - that's terrible. I feel for you and to see it affect your kids is as infuriating as losing the vehicle. If your keys were gone from inside your house it sounds like a professional job. Here in our city pre-theft breakins for the keys have become the norm as they know most people leave keys very close to the front door on hooks, in jackets, etc. It's likely your type of truck has been on someone's steal-to-order shopping list of desirable vehicles. Sounds bad but the silver lining is probably that your truck is so new. I'd be surprised if you don't get the entire value back. Still, it does nothing for your state of mind. Hope it works out.

TilliamWe

Banned

Ouch, ive heard the insurance companies sometimes pitch a fit if the keys were available to the thief...

No, not really. Of course we are always a little skeptical that it was taken, with permission. But that's why insurance companies conduct their own investigations.
In this case, it sounds to me like mpdive has someone that is either watching his stuff, or just took a chance that his truck was unlocked. Either way it's a bad situation.

robert graham

Admiral

That's too bad!...Sounds like maybe the scum were across the street somewhere just watching you to see where you may have laid your keys!....the cops may very well recover your truck, especially since it's brand new!...I hope so!:mad:

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry to hear it MP. Trying to be the glass half full guy - at least it's just something that is replaceable. I know that doesn't help right now, but in time it will work out. Hope they catch the punks that did it and throw the book at them (preferably a very large, very heavy book).

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone. Just go off the phone with Hartford and I gotta give them props. They truly have been a great insurance company to date. They have already set up a rental and started processing the claim. Hopefully I will get a call saying they found it.......