Fiberglass VS Aluminum hull

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
So I've never even been on an aluminum boat, but it seems like they have a lot of pros, lighter weight, alum. stringers ETC, so what are the drawbacks of aluminum and advantages of fiberglass? I'm thinking my next boat might be a tinnie, maybe something with a pilot house or cabin of sorts that is a little more offshore capable than my 18' bowrider. I just read another post that really glorified aluminum hulls and I just want to hear from both sides. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass VS Aluminum hull

I happen to think alum boats are the bombdiggity, though, I may be a bit biased;):p

OK, ok, I'll play....

I can think of all sorts of advantages for alum, lots of em. But you asked...

what are the drawbacks of aluminum and advantages of fiberglass?

In nasty chop, the big heavy glasser rides sooo much nicer than the equivalent metal boat.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I happen to think alum boats are the bombdiggity, though, I may be a bit biased;):p

OK, ok, I'll play....

I can think of all sorts of advantages for alum, lots of em. But you asked...

In nasty chop, the big heavy glasser rides sooo much nicer than the equivalent metal boat.

Is that because of the weight? and go ahead, hit me with the advantages of aluminum too!

robert graham

Admiral

Fiberglass will age and deteriorate with the sun and time, aluminum holds up very well, can be painted, welded, repaired easily. Fiberglass generally rides better, is quieter, and looks better and prettier. I have a 1999 18' all welded jon boat that's been used a lot and it's as good as a new one, no cracks, no bad gel coat, faded colors, no rotten wooden parts. It just all depends on what you like, want, need, can afford. Sea Ark Boats builds some heavy duty, commercial quality aluminum boats that you might want to check out. Good Luck!:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I like being able to smack into stuff with little care or consequence in my aluminum hull :D

Aluminum can't be easily shaped to make any of the snazzy shapes you see in fiberglass boats.

You know you're going to buy a Starcraft sooner or later, you may as well start looking now :p

Someone said is a past post, "This site has made me terrified of any used fiberglass boat unless it's like 2 years old." I sort of agree with that statement, although.... some aluminum boats have wood and mostly in the transom. Not as much as fiberglass, but it is there. If you are a freshwater only guy, then a tinnie is perfectly fine. With salt...not so much, not that there aren't a few out there. Actually NOAA uses a tinnie--a big tinnie-- but nonetheless a tinnie. I have owned both and for salt I prefer fiberglass and for fresh I have no choice. My current boat is a tinnie. I am looking for a fiberglass and so far, thinking about a Key West which is a no-wood construction with good reviews.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

You'd be smart to listen to EZmobee. I went from a fiberglass to a Starcraft and couldnt be happier. The disadvantages of fiberglass far outweigh the aluminum hull

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think Todd means me :D

Anyway, I agree with idonthaveaname also, a tinnie wouldn't be my first choice for constant saltwater usage. Corrosion issues.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The advantage of lower weight is also it's biggest disadvantage. You'll take a pounding in rough water and they don't feel as "solid" or "planted" when you are making hard turns.

I agree with this assessment. Aluminum boats are also very noisy (water against hull, metal against hull/deck). Drop a sinker on the floor and the fish are gone!

Fiberglass holds up better around salt water than aluminum.

I suspect aluminum is worse when it comes to electrolysis while moored, especially in salt water.

To me, the only advantage aluminum over fiberglass/wood is lighter weight. That needs to be important, and can itself be a liability.

Yeah... it was ezmobee that said that about glassed boats. Tell ya what...I have seen some real wrecks here and can't imagine half the crazy things some of you guys decide to tackle with rotting transoms and stringers. I've done it...it's a lot of freakin work!

robert graham

Admiral

Well, like I said, it all depends on what you want, but when my wife rams the front of my big ugly green aluminum jon boat into the dock, who cares? If it was my pretty little Checkmate, I'd be singin' the blues! Of course we boat mostly lakes and rivers, not much rough water, so we just tolerate some chop every now and then. Just remember, EVERY boat represents some kind of compromise! Good Luck!;)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Aluminum boats are also very noisy (water against hull, metal against hull/deck). Drop a sinker on the floor and the fish are gone!

To me, the only advantage aluminum over fiberglass/wood is lighter weight. That needs to be important, and can itself be a liability.

Based on past experience I would have agreed with the first statement until 2 years ago. My 2009 14' Starcraft has a quietness and ride quality that is awesome for its size. Extremely quiet! Now, I DID upgrade to the model with a wood deck, so that adds a little weight and probably muffles the sound a bit, and naturally its a breeze to walk around in. In any event in a medium chop it doesn't feel like a tinny - maybe partly because its a deep V. Oh and the deck is treated and has a lifetime warranty. (before anybody poo poos that statement I have the paperwork and have read the legalspeak and its got good good teeth to it - the only drawback is it doesnt extend past the original purchaser)

In contrast, my '52 wood boat is a foot longer but 110 pounds lighter with exactly thre same HP. It beats out glass or aluminum in all aspects except maintenance. OK I admit in a heavy chop I may hear one of the floorboards rattel at times....LOL.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Kudos to you Jim, for having a wooden boat :eek: There's been a lot of discussion and no one spitting venom yet, so keep it going!!

My next boat isn't coming any time soon, but I figured I'd post this up since I have a paper due Friday and need some distraction :D

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like the tinny because it is light and never been a problem for one person to load and unload.Also the big boats cant throw a wake that my little tinny cant handle sense I only boat on a river.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am thinking of other great things glass boats are good for...

Drivelines
Fittings
Fuel Tanks
Trailers
Controls
Swim Steps

All sorts of stuff to use on a totally rebuild-able alum boat!

:p;):D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Aluminum is good and pure, and does no wrong!

Fiberglass is the Devils Play-Doh!

Everytime I drive by the lake and see all of those glass boats sitting out in the weather uncovered I think to myself "Look at that rotten piece of crap", and whenever I see one with a for sale sign on it I laugh and think "You'd have to pay me $500 to haul that pos away!".

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with most of the posts having had both. My current boat is alum as I wanted a boat that I could fish out of and not scratch up in addition to the other advantages mentioned. Previous boat was a Ranger and I was always worried about scratching it up. I do not boat on large bodies of water, nor water ski with this boat so wave pounding is not an issue..........but it would be if I did. With the glass ranger, rode like a dream calm or rough.

Mark

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I would add draft to the senario. Of the 2 materials, size being equal the aluminum will usually draw less water.

As I fish a lot of shallow rock bars this becomes am important issue which was a factor in my purchase. I can find 2' of water w/o a problem. Would be affraid to do this in the same size glass hull.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

These are all really good points. After doing my fiberglass resto I feel like aluminum would really be a nice change.