Painting my old Lowe boat, decided to do it right

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I decided to take the time to paint my old 16ft Lowe aluminum boat. Its a 1979 model, and its been around. At first I was going to do a cheapo spray can job. But after reading about all the issues associated with the primer and paint adhering, I decided to just break out the HVLP gun and the compressor and do it right. My dad and I got the boat off the trailer by jacking it up in the rear, and setting it on jack stands, then using a tow strap and a come-along to lift the bow up off the trailer and pull the trailer out from under the boat. Then we lowered it back down on jack stands.

Here is the boat on stands.
securedownload-12-1.jpg

Another view, with a few rivets drilled out and all burs removed with a grinder.
securedownload-15.jpg

After a day of paint removal. I tried the Aircraft Paint Remover that you spray on and scrape, then wash off. It was not as great as they made it seem. It got some of the white paint off but it had trouble with the original green paint. I found another stripping product, Tal strip (I think) that worked very well. In about 30 seconds of sitting on the paint it was bubbling up and falling off. It was also cheaper than the Aircraft Paint Remover. Lesson learned. After spraying all that stuff on and scraping the paint then washing it off, I sanded the entire boat down to almost bare aluminum.
securedownload-14.jpg

That picture shows the inside before I finished sanding it. I got all that black off and most of the white. Then I washed the entire boat down with warm soapy water, then came back after it was dry and wiped down with automotive thinner.

As for paint, I was torn between Gray, and the OD green. The boat has gray carpet as you can see in the pics. So after talking to the guys at Tasco Auto Color, I decided gray would be best. They thought green would look funny with the gray carpet, and I agreed. I went with an Epoxy primer and hardener in a 2:1 ratio. I bought enough to do 2 coats, and I was able to shoot the first coat yesterday. After it set, I came back with some bondo and covered the drilled out rivet holes. Today I'm hoping to sand the bondo down and come back with a second coat of primer. When I get a chance I'll post pics of the 1st coat of primer. So far it is going very good.

For those who are wondering, I am using an HVLP gun from harbor freight. It is a 15 dollar gun, but it is very good for the price. We used them a lot several years ago when I was in high school, and they lay down some nice paint. Also, you can pay 4.99 for an additional 2 year replacement plan. Anything happens with it in 2 years plus the 90 days you get at purchase, you bring it back and they give you a free replacement, no questions asked. I have mine set up with a regulator, followed by an oil/water filter. My dad's compressor has some water accumulated in the bottom and every now and then it has a little that comes through the line. I didn't want any of that water to come out in my paint, as that can really mess up a paint job.

Constructive criticism is welcome! This is my first time painting an aluminum boat, or anything aluminum, so I am sure I'm not doing everything perfect. I have painted plenty of trailers, metal projects, replacement bumpers I built, and 2 vehicles, so I am not new to the art of painting. By no means am I a professional, but I have spent many hours learning and trying to get better. As far as the bondo, I know there are some uncertainties associated with using it on aluminum, but I'm hoping it will stick. I think the epoxy primer will help it adhere, but I guess time will tell.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting my old Lowe boat, decided to do it right

Most of the guys here on the forum recommend using a self etching primer on aluminum boats. I guess you can be the one that reports how the epoxy primer holds up as far as adhesion goes.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the guys here on the forum recommend using a self etching primer on aluminum boats. I guess you can be the one that reports how the epoxy primer holds up as far as adhesion goes.

I have read several of the posts regarding the self etching primer. I was considering it, but the folks I talked to at the paint shop told recommended the epoxy primer. I'm not saying they are the #1 source, but they have been helpful in the past and I've always had very good results with their paint and their recommendations. Anyway, for my sake I hope it works out. After all the time I've invested in the prep, and the money spent on the paint itself, it dang sure better stick.

Here are some pics of the 1st coat of primer after I sanded down the bondo.
securedownload-13-1.jpg

securedownload-17.jpg

securedownload-16.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander

That looks great so far. All your preparation should pay off because the new paint will adhere strongly.
A few years ago I painted my Lowe BigJon with a 2 part acrylic enamel and it's been holding up nicely:
OnNewTrailer002.jpg

My only concern with your work so far is the type of Bondo used- was it the regular automotive stuff or something else?

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

arks, I did use the regular automotive Bondo. I know there are some concerns with it not adhering properly to aluminum, or just popping out over time. I looked at stuff like Marine Tek, but is something like that really that much better? Ideally, I would just cut some small squares of aluminum plate, cover the holes, and TIG them in and grind them down. Unfortunately I don't have access to the same TIG welder I used when I built the aluminum casting deck in my boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yes, Marine Tex IS that much better than Bondo!!!! Bondo is not waterproof.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

If Bondo isn't waterproof, how do automotive body shops get away using it on cars? I'm going to paint over it with a coat of primer and 2 coats of base coat. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just asking the question.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cars do not sit immersed in water for Hours at a time. It is true that the primer and paint will seal the bondo but... one little chip in the area where bondo has been applied and all bets are off. The bondo will absorb water, swell and pop off of the applied area. Seen it happen too many times...Even on Cars!!!!! Using Marine Tex or 3M Marine filler will allow the paint to take the punishment of chips and not effect the underlying repair. Hope this helps you understand how and why.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cars do not sit immersed in water for Hours at a time. It is true that the primer and paint will seal the bondo but... one little chip in the area where bondo has been applied and all bets are off. The bondo will absorb water, swell and pop off of the applied area. Seen it happen too many times...Even on Cars!!!!! Using Marine Tex or 3M Marine filler will allow the paint to take the punishment of chips and not effect the underlying repair. Hope this helps you understand how and why.

Very much so. That is the explanation I was seeking. Thank you. Now, how long does it take the Marine Tex or 3M filler to set up and be sanded down to take paint? I haven't painted my second coat of primer yet and I'm not opposed to sanding the rest of the bondo off and replacing it with some Marine Tex. Like my title says, I want to do it right!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Either one of them will be ready for sanding and finishing in an hour or less, depending on the temp. Marine Tex or PC-11 are both epoxy products while 3M is Poly based. For Aluminum I'd prolly go with the MT or PC-11. Ace Hardware usually carries the PC-11 and it is the Same Exact product as MT just less expensive.

MacDaddy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately our Ace Hardware closed down many months ago. The Marine Tex is around $14 at my local marine supplier. He's got it in stock and he agreed that it would be better for my boat, unless the repairs were in a location that would have very little flex and receive very little abuse. I think it would be very wise to replace the Bondo. I think I'd be pretty dang mad if I bumped up against a stump and knocked off a chunk of painted Bondo.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB weld is great and lowes or home depot sells it. you can also get it at any auto parts stores