do I have a drain port on my motor

cimmaronbyekbo

Recruit
I have a Mercruiser Alpha one 3.7L motor in my boat. Model #MCM3.7L. 165HP. Engine s/n oc46584. Drive s/n oc709799. It has a sticker on the top that says the cooling system is filled with a 50/50 mixture of ethelyn glycol and water.
Today I went to winterize my boat. I put staybil in the gas and ran it for about 10 minutes. I then ran the proper antifreeze through the outdrive until it came out of the exhaust pink. I fogged the carburator and the spark plugs. I then started to look for the drain ports on the motor to drain the water. Could not find them anywhere. Since the engine has a separate cooling system, does that mean that there are no drain ports? Is my winterization complete? Please help me.

cr2k

Captain
Re: do I have a drain port on my motor

If your antifreeze is up to snuff you dont want to drain the block. Just the manifolds and heat exchanger.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

3.7 motor and manifold are FWC.If the A/F is mixed correctly you should be fine. What you do need to drain is the raw water side of the heat exchanger.At the rearmost part on the bottom you`ll feel 2 plugs, the one closest to the transom is the raw water drain for the heat exchanger.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Whoa whoa whoa there big fella LOL!!! Do not, repeat do not try to drain the engine, and you are making it WAY too complicated and just wasted your money on pink stuff. Here is what you need to do for your 470: Get yourself a inexpensive antifreeze checker and check the antifreeze in the reservoir, should be about 50/50 (-30F). Then remove the AFT plug on the heat exchanger and let it drain. If you have a power steering cooler check to make sure it drained (if it did you never have to check it again) and you are done. You can do all that on the ramp when you pull the boat, just pull the transom plug and let er drain, it is all seawater coming out. At this point it would be wise to drain the exchanger (remember: aft plug) because you have NO idea how much water is left in there mixed with the pink stuff. Welcome to the world of no sweat 470 winterizing;)

You don't have to drain the manifold, the little water in the exhaust elbow drains out through the exchanger when you pull the plug.

Have a look at the attached pages regarding winterizing for your engine:

Attachments

• winterize-1.JPG
    winterize-1.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • winterize-3.jpg
    winterize-3.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • winterize-4.jpg
    winterize-4.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0