1996 Johnson V4 Powerhead Removal: dowel pin?

WillG

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
3
J130TLEDM
In the process of removing powerhead on 1996 Johnson V4. I'm pretty sure that I have removed all bolts/nuts required, but still can't crack the seal on the powerhead. When I went back over the motor to see if I had missed any bolts, I noticed a dowel pin on the upper stbd side that looks like it could be holding the crankcase assembly together. The SELOC manual does not mention this dowel pin in the teardown instructions. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.IMG-20110926-00060.jpg
 

daselbee

Commander
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
2,765
Re: 1996 Johnson V4 Powerhead Removal: dowel pin?

That dowel pin has nothing to do with the removal of the powerhead from the midsection. It provides a block to crankcase alignment point for re-assembly.

Look for missed fasteners.
 

WillG

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
3
Re: 1996 Johnson V4 Powerhead Removal: dowel pin?

TYVM Daselbee.
 

WillG

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
3
Re: 1996 Johnson V4 Powerhead Removal: dowel pin?

Found two missed fastners middle of engine block! one of them was under the carbs...:redface: My experience with this teardown: if there is any resistance at all, you've missed a bolt somewhere...
 

daselbee

Commander
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
2,765
Re: 1996 Johnson V4 Powerhead Removal: dowel pin?

Did it lift right off? Or was there also considerable resistance from the gasket? That gasket can provide quite a hold....
 
Top