Completed first 3 hours of engine break in! Couple of questions -

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine is a 5.7 Vortec fitted with Edelbrock 1409 and EST ignition...

Had a great night tonight giving the engine a run for the first time and she sounded good forby a little ticking coming from the valves... will sort that tomorrow.

I have a vent at the top left side of my carb just under the flame arrestor, i think it might be a the marine fuel pump vent which i don't think I need, I simply blocked it off... is this the right thing to do.

The other issue I have is my idle speed, in neutral the engine is idling at 900 but I have adjusted the idle screw as far back as it will go and the throttle cable is putting plenty of pressure on to keep it there... The mixture screws are working fine so im not sure there is an air leak. Timing is spot on 10 degree BTDC... i expected to be able to stall the engine with this idle screw... is this not the case on the edelbrock carbs? Perhaps im missing something...

The engine occassionaly hunts at tick over also...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Completed first 3 hours of engine break in! Couple of questions -

The other issue I have is my idle speed, in neutral the engine is idling at 900 but I have adjusted the idle screw as far back as it will go and the throttle cable is putting plenty of pressure on to keep it there... The mixture screws are working fine so im not sure there is an air leak. Timing is spot on 10 degree BTDC... i expected to be able to stall the engine with this idle screw... is this not the case on the edelbrock carbs? Perhaps im missing something...

The engine occassionaly hunts at tick over also...

Timing or a vacuum leak comes to mind.
Are you setting the timing properly? Volvo manuals done't have it right and they sure won't admit it or change it.

Read this thread.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Completed first 3 hours of engine break in! Couple of questions -

With the engine running I hooked up the timing bridge wire to b+ on alt then set to 10 degree btdc on harmonic balancer sticker/timing notch.

I recon that's about how it goes... At least it's how I did it.