69 starcraft for newbie?

Donkalion

Cadet
I'm looking to buy/restore a boat im new to boating and i was wondering on how much money does it take for a restoration. I also found this boat would this be a good start?

restore 1.jpgrestore 2.jpgrestore 3.jpgrestore 4.jpg

Cal195

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 69 starcraft for newbie?

I am a first year boater....was given an older boat as a gift by a friend. One thing I do know is parts are not cheap. But I must say I am addicted to it....Love being out in the water....no place better. Good Luck and Have fun.

bananaboater

Ensign

Not an easy ? to answer. Some folks do it on a shoestring. But in any case it will be more than you plan! This SC looks to be a good start. Is the deck original? If so it might need replacement and the transom might need attention. If you have some mechanical and woodworking skills restoring a boat can be fun and challenging. Go for it.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a Super Sport. If you want to restore a boat for the first time it would be an excellent choice. Cost all depends on how you want to do it. Check out the Starcraft rebuilds to see whats all involved http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=494143
Starcrafts ae the best boats out there, but I may be a little biased :D

kfa4303

Banned

WOW!!!! They'll see you coming a mile a way in that one! I like it. Depending on how involved you want to get into a restoration, I think you'll find most folks end up spending between $1500-$2000 on a good, solid, basic resto which usually includes new transom, floor, paint and basic accessories. Of course, a boat is never truly finished and the sky is the limit as far as a budget goes. Take your time. Read a bunch of the Starcraft resto threads here in the forums and you should be well equipped to take on the job. If you're lucky, your floor and/or transom may be ok in which case you can save a few clams. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Donkalion

Cadet

I think it a really good deal on it. I'm going give it a try are there any website that u use for material

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Most of us get our plywood for floors/transom at Menards or Home depot. You can also get new flotation foam there. Epoxy to seal your new ply can be found at www.uscomposites.com. New seats and many accessories can be found here at iboats or Cabelas, Bass Pro and many other places. The sky is the limit as to what you want to do on your restore.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cannot beat the 16 18 Supersport for all around versatility , going to be my next project when done with a similar boat 18.5 Alumicraft. Other posts are right "sky is limit" think ahead and plan what you want to end up with. You have to r
emember a new one of this size will set you back 20G more or less. Have fun and use iboats .

Donkalion

Cadet

today I Purchased the boat and I got to say I am very happy with what i have

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

today I Purchased the boat and I got to say I am very happy with what i have

Congrats! You won't find an easier or more satisfying boat to restore and own. Welcome to the Starmada! Don't be a stranger.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on the purchase! ezmobee is right on. We will be looking forward to a resto thread, hint hint ;)

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooray! Got any plans? Any outboard motors on your radar? Or a couple big paddles? :D
Congrats!

Donkalion

Cadet

At first i wasnt going to remove the deck. until i noticed the bow portion of the wood was rotten a little bit but the rest of the boat deck seems to be good, but i decided to remove it all any way. The transom seem to be solid should i replace it to? look like in need to be stained. how hard is it to replace a transom?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Transom isn't a real bad/hard job. So long as you are in rebuild mode you may as well tackle that too, eh:)

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Donkalion. Good thing you checked out the deck. It's probably best/easiest just to replace the whole thing. That way you know the job will be done right and last for ages. If the transom is solid, there's no sense opening a new can of worms, however replacing the transom really isn't that hard. It's actually easier than the floor. Just just remove/drill out and old rivets or hardware holding the transom in place and then remove the old wood. It's best if you can get it out in one piece so you can use it as a template for the new transom, but you don't always get that lucky. One tip, DO NOT drill out/remove any of the rivets holding the aluminum skin to the boat, just the ones holding the transom to the skin. Once removed you simply trace the old one, glue it to another copy to get the desired thickness, seal it with either epoxy, then paint, or polyester resin and fiberglass. You then simply bolt it back on the boat using Stainless steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 and voila! you're done.

Donkalion

Cadet

Ok sounds good, this is my first restoration so what type of rivetes do I use for the hull aluminum? Also once the deck is ripped out and leak test is performed what do I use 5200 or gulvit?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For below the waterline you can use closed end pop rivets, above pop rivets are just fine.

Gluvit to seal up your seams and rivets.

Cheers:)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not part of Starmada here but own a Sea Nymph which is basically the same design. I too knew nothing about boats when i started. You have the best of the best here on iboats ask questions but always do ur research first. Search the forum for the answers. When and if ya come up stumped post it on ur thread and some fellow boater will give their two cents worth... Always remember if ya wanna keep the Starmada happy post a plethora (ya i used it) of pics. The more pics the happier the mob gets! Smooth waters to ya, just remember don't get discouraged your bound to hip a bump in the road but its smooth on the other side!

kfa4303

Banned

For below the waterline you can use closed end pop rivets, above pop rivets are just fine.

Gluvit to seal up your seams and rivets.

Cheers:)

Yup. And be sure you NEVER use pressure treated lumber. Most folks use stainless steels fasteners when possible too, aside from the rivets of course. Good luck. Keep us posted. We love pics.