Need help finding distributor cap and rotor for AQ125A

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
My AQ125A engine has been surging on the water and I suspect either the fuel system or ignition system. However, the boat is very old and ignition system problems are preventing me from starting so I can check the fuel line vacuum (according to HOW TO: Testing your boats fuel system).

The high tension wire from the coil is sparking but I do not get spark through the distributor (Bosch 0-231-178-017). The rotor is badly worn, it can be seen below. This distributor does not appear to be a stock part, Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic DISTRIBUTOR, for the Volvo Penta AQ125A; it also has the points replaced with a PerTronix or HotSpark electronic ignition.

At the moment, I am simply trying to find a replacement cap and rotor for the Bosch 0-231-178-017 Distributor; I have called NAPA and they are unable to find the part #. Can you offer a suggestion of where I could or should be finding this?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_0549[1].jpg

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help finding distributor cap and rotor for AQ125A

HELL-O Did you try iboat or lang

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The picture you are linking to is incorrect, you need the screw down cap and I'm sure it's available here at I boats.

Cap part #841263 Sierra #18-5358

Rotor #243903

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

I took this picture myself, last night.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, Dennis - I have been calling NAPA and Lordco all day, how did you figure that out?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My bad, did not mean the pic, meant the link.

The part #'s I gave you are correct.

There is no cheap cap...................................

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

Found the cause of the lack of spark, the HotSpark electric ignition was dead. Have replaced the coil, high tension and spark plug wires, spark plugs, rotor and have gone back to points. Brought the points gap to 0.016" with a dwell of sixty-degrees.

The boat is not idling perfectly, I still see a very slight fluctuation in RPMs at idle, maybe within 10-25 RPM. Giving her throttle while in neutral is now fine, it is now longer stalling. However, when I brought it to the lake and after letting her warm up, giving throttle from idle will stall the boat, while in gear. If I very slowly throttle up to around 2000 RPM and then give it throttle, I can get to cruising range without a problem, in fact it runs really great above 2000 RPM. After several attempts at stopping and then throttling up from idle and stalling I am kind of at a loss.

The spark seems fine at cruise, it has enough fuel at cruise, and the vacuum gauge I have inserted between the fuel pump and filter never goes above 2 Hg. Could I be looking at a problem with the carburetor idle/low speed jet? What is involved in addressing that? Could it be An ignition problem still or a fuel problem? I've read around the forums that these older boats commonly have more than one problem at once.

I am very new mechanically and any help is greatly appreciated!

captmello

Captain

Sound like your accelerator pump on the carb isn't working.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

I read wherer you went back to points.
Did you install a capacitor?
On my boat it is mounted to the outside of the distributer, towards the engine block side.
make sure it is not loose.

Now,
Try this if you can (my boat is gutted so this trick works for me.)
With someone else at the helm, boat idling forward through water;
sit next to engine and work the carb
open the throttle with one hand,
use the other hand to pump the diaphragm gas squirter.

If this gets you up to speed, your problem COULD be the carb

Also, try setting the spark more advance.
Cold engines will start easier with less advance, this might explaun your symptoms.
(little safer than first trick)
You didn't post the timing number.
I was trying to set mine to 6 degrees, but idle was too high, so I was actually setting it wrong.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot to mention the condenser, yes that was installed. Engine timing is at ten degrees.

It is difficult for me to get the boat on the water and much easier to work on it in the driveway, I am leaning towards just rebuilding the carb and jumping right into winterization, so only one last trip to the lake would be necessary to check the fix and get fuel stabilizer through the system.

Can we get the rebuild kit for the carb from iboats? There have been so many parts changed by previous owners that I wonder if I can double check that it is the stock carb?

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice

If the accelerator pump has a problem, would it also be a problem when throttling up from 2000 to 4200 RPM?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just adjust the accelerator pump nut. I had the same problem on my aq125a and it is a combination of having the mixture screw adjusted right and then the accelerator pump adjusted to engage immediately when you hit the throttle.

The easiest way was to disconnect the throttle linkage at the carb so that you don't need somebody at the helm. Get your idle set, mixture set, then adjust the accel pump.

If the accelerator pump has a problem, would it also be a problem when throttling up from 2000 to 4200 RPM?
If it was totally shot, then maybe. But not if it is just late. At higher rpms the main circuit is engaged providing more fuel than the idle circuit, with the extra fuel it is more forgiving.

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi! I was just thinking if you guys need parts for the AQ 115-170
I can try to find them fairly cheap here in sweden.
The older pentas starting to be gard to get too even here but i can try my best if you want to.
Just so you guys know :)
//Andreas

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

My bad, did not mean the pic, meant the link.

The part #'s I gave you are correct.

There is no cheap cap...................................

Well, I wouldn't say there are definetly no cheap caps, there ARE cheap people like me.

EDIT: Promoting your future product on the forum is against the forum rules Dennis, Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I wouldn't say there are definetly no cheap caps, there ARE cheap people like me.

EDIT: Promoting your future product on the forum is against the forum rules Dennis, Sorry.

Yikes !
Don't want to step on any toes here, I might need a tow some day!

I was going to team up with Ralph Kramdens combination potato peeler and apple core for a TV spot.

Oh-oh, getting off track.

Back to the distributer cap.
I bought one off e-bay and it was missing the carbon button inside, I guess you get what you pay for.