Input please - 2650 boat plus fuel/trailer with a Pilot

Sanderskog

Cadet
Looking to purchase our first boat and found a Sea Ray 182 my wife and I like. Originally we were looking at a 18' Bayliner.

My question is this, towing capacity for the Pilot is 4500 max with four passengers. The Sea Ray is 2650 plus about 150 in fuel and the trailer (1000?). So about 3800 lbs. Would you consider this in the safe parameters or should I stick to the 500 lb lighter Bayliner?

If it matters, the lake is 15 minutes away. Pilot has the tow package. I have no intentions of replacing the Pilot as it's great for what we need 95% of the time.

Your input is appreciated.

Todd

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Input please - 2650 boat plus fuel/trailer with a Pilot

If it matters, the lake is 15 minutes away.
I think it does matter. Many will disagree. If the trailer has brakes, and the trip is relatively flat, then I am not sure what the issue is. Yes, I'd rather have an intermediate US truck or larger, but the big issue with lighter, short wheelbase vehicles is stopping them, and stopping them straight. Decent trailer brakes help mitigate this.

Vehicles always give you there max tow load but the vehicle can easily tow more then the max. for example if ur car says it is 4500 pounds, the car will have to tow 4500 pounds if not the car company would get in trouble for being false. , its just what the company feels safe saying. Because if there wrong and something goes wrong there at fault. My dads been selling cars for years now, and ive been helping out on the websites.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

A vehicle's towing capacity is usually listed for only the driver on board. Having said that, you are a little high for the trailer in my opinion. It is likely around 600 pounds for an 18' boat. Bottom line. If the weight of the boat/trailer/fuel and any other odds and ends in the boat are less than the allowable towing capacity of your Pilot then no problem. Make sure you have the required towing equipment (sway brace, load equalizers, brakes, etc.) as prescribed in you owner's manual and go for it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Its the same on the boat your going to get, it will have a max capacity, but ur boat will hold more then the capacity stated, its just what the company feels safe saying. Because if there wrong and something goes wrong there at fault.
This is false. These are Coast Guard approved capacities based on formulas that dictate safe loads.

bigdee

Commander

I think you have already answered your own question......you are within the recommend tow capacity and you have no intentions of getting rid of the Pilot. You will be fine, enjoy your new boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

I think you have already answered your own question......you are within the recommend tow capacity and you have no intentions of getting rid of the Pilot. You will be fine, enjoy your new boat.

I agree, IF your Pilot REALLY has the 4500lb tow rating. And IF the boat on the trailer weighs what you think. Simple answer, weigh the boat on the trailer, then there is NO guessing involved.
I question your assertion that its 4500lb capacity is with 4 persons on board. That's a GWVR thing, not necessarily a "towing capacity" thing. Don't want to you to be confused, cause it's confusing!

gjmsd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1000 lbs seems awfully high for a 18' boat trailer. I'm guessing a standard trailer of that size to be 500-600 lbs.

mwmike270

Cadet

i would check on the 4 person part. thats a lot of variance. it could be 100lbs persons or 300lbs persons... i have only heard of one person or two but they still have a GWVR that you can not go over. the more you load up the the more your moving.

by the numbers you gave, your ok. just check your numbers.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

If it helps for comparison, the Scout's (17 footer) single axle, galvanized steel, bunk style trailer weighs 500 pounds according to my local truck weigh station.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 20' boat in my sig and my trailer combined weigh about 4300lbs wet. I tow them all the time with my Pilot, no issues.
Honda requires installation of "Genuine Honda" transmission cooler and heavy duty power steering cooler when towing if you want to keep your warranty.