Found my leak, now how do i fix it?

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
So i posted up this thread a few days ago.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=514134

(1999 Sea Ray 180 with Mercruiser GM 3.0L engine and Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive)

I think i found my leak. I was out this evening looking at something completely unrelated, and spotted this torn bellows. I can only assume it is for the shift linkage.

2011-09-14220020.jpg

2011-09-14215910.jpg

2011-09-14220001.jpg

I planned on having the gimbal and bellows replaced on the off season this year, but it seems i need to step up the schedule on this one. Unless there is a way i can glue it back together, until boating season is over. (month or so?)

Now, I have the service manual for both the engine and lower. I have skimmed over them, but haven't really studied them. This is my second boat, and will be my first ever attempt at fixing anything mechanical with them. Before i even start, can i do this by myself?

I have decent mechanical skill, and can do brakes, oil changes, and replace parts on cars, i just have never messed with boats.

Please give me any advice you have. I am all ears.

Also, back to the original reason i was out there.

Is this the gimbal grease fitting? It seemed loud last outing, and putting some grease on it isnt going to hurt anything, so i think that is what i want to do.

I put some in there, just because its a grease fitting and any grease is better then none, but i only put a pump or two in there. I think it needs more. The pivots, i greased until they firmed up. I also put some in the bearing buddies.

2011-09-14220045.jpg

Thanks in advance

Blake

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Found my leak, now how do i fix it?

no you can't glue it time to order up some bellows, bellows adhesive, trim senders if you need em and care, a gasket for the drive, an alignment tool and while many folks get away without it, a hinge pin tool is a good idea too.... You might consider a new gimbal bearing and ujoints

whatever you do don't buy this stuff from a dealer.... you can find it for a fraction of the price online..... example I think my alignment tool was about $30 shipped on ebay vs several hundred from mercruiser

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there is no way to repair a shift bellows with out replacing it.

if you leave it......the boat will leak bad.....if your bilge pump breaks.....you will sink

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

You may be able to repair the shift bellows depending how bad the tear is. My shift bellows some how got torn towards the narrow end closest to the out drive. I cut off the very end just past the tear. I then took a small cable tye and put it in the first groove of the shift bellows and pulled it very tight with pliers. This reduced my leak by 90%. I then took some Liquid Electrical Tape/Seal and coated the end with several coats. No more leak.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You may be able to repair the shift bellows depending how bad the tear is.

Look at his first picture, no way would your idea work with it in 2 pieces at that point.
His only option is replacement or sinking.

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a1, this approach is creative, but I dont' think it'll work given the pics above. You could try to patch it together, but my 0.02 is fix it right. Some wiser souls on this board suggest using merc bellows, not the aftermarket stuff. Definately get an alignement bar from ebay, and spend some time looking around, great tips on everything else. Good luck

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're going to do the work yourself you should really get a manual & parts list, for your Model and Serial Number. I've had my boat for about 40 years. Can't count the amount of repair work I've done. The manual is pretty dog-eared but worth it's weight in Gold. Most suppliers can cross reference if you have the original Merc. P/N, otherwise you need to be sure you're getting something that fits.
I googled "Mercruiser Repair Manual" and there are a bunch of after market Maunals available, hopefully parts lists too. I got mine from Mercruiser years ago. Don't think you can get them new any more, perhaps Craigs List or EBay.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the electronic versions of the manuals for both the engine and lower.

I got a quote to change all the bellows, and gimbal and it came to over $700!!!

He said i need to replace the shift cable because on a boat that old they are normally not reusable.

does this sound right?

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not reusable... unless there is an issue with the cable it is fine to "re-use" it's not like a gasket... hard to tell in the first pic, but it looks as if the u-joint bellows has been replaced already, get a new opinion from another shop for just the shift bellows. IMHO

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

this guy never came to look at it, he just pulled up parts and put down $350 in labor. There is a guy supposed to come look at it this afternoon.

Like stated before, i was planning on doing this maintenance this winter, but the boat had other plans.

can that one be changed without removing the lower?

also is that the gimbal grease zerk?

Don S

You have to remove the outdrive, and the shift cable to replace the shift cable bellows.

Yes, that is a gimbal bearing grease zerk in your last picture.

this guy never came to look at it, he just pulled up parts and put down $350 in labor.

If he didn't tell you what parts were being replaced for that $350 of labor, then the estimate was useless. Assuming that the $350 was labor only.
If it included replacing the ujoint bellows too, then it it's a different story.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

he has this list of parts

u joint bellows
exhaust bellows
shift cable kit
gimbal bearing

total price $328.37

labor: R&R Outdrive assembly and Bell Housing to replace Shift Cable
w/new boot; Replace U-Joint bellows, Exhaust bellows
Labor to replace Gimbal brg if need be.

Price $375.00

grand total of $791.84

that is a lot steeper then i expected. Its funny... he doesnt even list a shifter bellows. Maybe it comes with the kit.

Ive seen bellows kits online for significantly less than he is quoting for the package.

Bondo

Staff member

Ive seen bellows kits online for significantly less than he is quoting for the package.
Ayuh,... OEM, or aftermarket,..??

'n there's a mark-up on parts,...

'n Yes, the cable bellows comes with the "Kit"...

Don S

Is this a certified Mercruiser dealer? If so, he's been down this road many times and has a base price for labor to do the job.
With any luck, he is using OEM parts. Is it a Merc dealer. Be realistic, shops make money on parts, they don't sell them for what you can low price find on the internet.
Shift cable kits normally come with new shift cable bellows.
350-375 labor for that work sounds fine for getting your boat fixed. If that ujoint bellows fails, you will then find out what expensive really is.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

the kits i saw, i would assume are aftermarket. Im assuming by the responses that the OEM stuff is significantly better quality then the aftermarket items.

This is not a dealer, just a marine mechanic.

Thanks for the info.