1966 evinrude starflite 100s - no reverse selectric control

Degz

Cadet
Hello All.

My first time here and thanks for all your great posts, unfortunately i did not find an answer for what i need.

I have an Evinrude starflite 100s year 1966, It was running ok but sounded like it need a tune or carbs cleaned. So i was told to put the good shell gas in as it has techron and would give it a good clean. So i added the shell gas took boat out must of had some old fuel still in the lines as it was working like it usually does, then about 4 minutes at full throttle it started spluttering so eased of gas and was ok, anchored up, done some fishing, headed home. on the way back engine started coughing, spluttering, back firing , shaking and all sorts of things going on. Eased off gas and cruised back, then as i tried to dock i found out my reverse had gone, It was working before heading back so not sure whats going on.

Would the shaking, sputtering have had something to do with losing reverse?

I was told to drop the lower unit today then put in neutral and put it back, I tried removing the lower unit but doesnt come out, it moves about 2 inches. Is there something i need to do can anyone give advice to me please?

p.s i did mix some low grade fuel with high and it is running like it was before so i guess the fuel might of been running to hot or something?

hope for some advice

thank you

Degz

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 evinrude starflite 100s - no reverse selectric control

Running Shell gas will not clean an engine. The best fuel for 2 cycle outboards is 87 octane regular. From your symptoms I suspect that you need to clean the carbs - - see the sticky for tips.

Shifting is a separate issue.

AND WELCOME!!

freddyray21

Commander

it's possible the wires at the connectors have gotten loose. It's also possible the wires on that old a motor are just bad. Start there.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your gear lube, make sure you don't have a leak, and never forget to add oil to the gas. Also, sounds like a good carb cleaning is in order.

Degz

Cadet

Thanks guys,

will check out the sticky for carb cleaning.

Just need to find out how to get this reverse gear working again.

Degz

Cadet

Any ideas?

I am trying to find reverse, I can get forward and neutral the wires seem ok should there be anything else i need to try or look at?

would forward and reverse control run through the same wire or separate ones?

Thanks

Degz

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked the solenoids?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There are no solenoids in that g/c. Just coils, hubs and springs. If the voltage going to the rev coil is 12 volts check the coil it self with an ohmmeter. It should be 5-6 ohms. If that checks out you may have a broken rev spring. The fwd coil wire is green and the rev is blue.