Removing prop from 270

squishall

Cadet
When the manual says to knock the tabs of the lock washer up do they mean into the cutouts of the spinner or out of the cutouts?

I tried with them out of the cutouts but the cone will not budge.

bronc76

Cadet
Re: Removing prop from 270

You have to have the tabs out of the cone. That is a lock washer that when engaged with the cone won't let it spin off. Make sure the tabs are out of the cone take a 2x4 or something similar and use it to hold the prop. I have set one end of 2x4 on the ground with other end against prop to keep it from turning. I have a thick phillips screwdriver that just fits through the hole on the cone and is about 16" long. That has always given me enough leverage to get mine off. Hope this helps.

squishall

Cadet

OK. I took a 2ft long steel bar and still cannot get the damn prop cone off. It does turn counter-clockwise to remove it right??

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it does turn counter-clockwise (just like a "normal" nut) to take it off.

If you have managed to get the tabs removed from the grooves, it should come off. Ensure that you do not have a "bastard" with a locking bolt (allen key 1/4" needed) in the center of the hub as well.

Have you sprayed it with some penetrating lubricant and waited? The prop cone is alloy with (stainless?) steel thread inserts. It is possibly that the cone has been on for so long that it has corroded on the inside.

Volvo prop cones are a "dime-a-dozen" and can be had for $20-$40 in case you want to use so much force that you damage it beyond repair.

squishall

Cadet

Got it off..woohooo! All I did dif is lower the drive all the way down and it came off easily. Strange..

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, lowering the drive have nothing to do with the prop cone.
Glad you got it off. Guess it finally decided to give up and figured out it had given you a good match.

Now ensure that you keep everything nicely greased.