Fuel pump conversion - 1959 10hp. Evinrude...

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've read a few threads regarding such a conversion, but yet to find one for this motor. There seem to be 2 bypass covers on the right side just back of the shifter. I'm guessing I could pop the top one off, afix a nipple of some sort to which the vacuum line could be attached, then just find a fuel pump as mentioned in some of the threads.
So my question... will this work? Or is there a ready made kit that will suit this motor.
I've attached a photo of the motor showing the bypass cover I want to tap into.
As always.... please and thank you.

bypass cover.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel pump conversion - 1959 10hp. Evinrude...

I don't think you can tap that cover, it doesn't have the bosses cast in it to tap. I don't think there is a kit per say, you have to round up all the parts. I have not converted one of those engines myself, but I am sure some one who has will chime in and help you out.

He's right. Those cover the ports into the cylinder and help to smooth the air flow into the cylinder. Very thin aluminum. Find a side cover that has the boss cast into it. Here's on on ebay for 8 bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMC-...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4aa0578e3a

View attachment 109789 Check out the photo.

I did the exact conversion to mine. I can take pics if u need me too. Make sure and plug the exhaust port under the carburetor that pressurizes the old style fuel tanks.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input. Agreed, the bypass cover does look kinda thin. I'm going to go and have a look at a nearby town where I've been told there are several old outboards just sitting neglected. I may even just make a new cover from a thicker piece of aluminum. Doesn't look too difficult of a task.
The carb is in pieces presently waiting on a new bowl and a carb kit.
I would greatly appreciate all and any photos of before and after the conversion.
Once all is back together and am ready to install the pump, I'll most likely post again with questions. Till then, thanks again.