1991 Glasstream inboard outboard question

How easy is it to pull outdrive off and replace bearing that the driveshaft goes thru hull, sorry dont know correct terminology, change the boots on the shifter cable&driveshaft, they are both rotten and now i seen gear oil dripping from the driveshaft boot which has a hole in it now. I want to fix everything i should when i pull it apart. What should i change&about how much do the parts cost?

I asked a dealer i havent shopped any others yet for labor&material price, he said replace the belows(sorry for mispelling), the water hose and some other stuff i cant think of right now all for $800. Thanks in advance i want to fix it before summer is totally gone so my kids and i can play on it more, i live in michigan so summer is almost gone. Thanks in advance.
p.s i now have water in gear oil, it wasnt there when i changed the fluid yesterday but its there now:eek:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Glasstream inboard outboard question

Transom kit around 200, includes all boots, water intake hose, gimbal bearing, clamps, mounting gasket. Guessing around 4 hours IF everything just comes apart.
Leaky bellows will allow water to get into the drive and into the boat.Most times ,when shift boot needs replacing the shift cable is not far behind.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let's address one issue at a time here. First of all, you will want to get a hold of your engine's service manual. Hopefully someone will post a link to it - I don't have it on me but they are out there.

How easy is it to pull outdrive off and replace bearing that the driveshaft goes thru hull
That's called the gimbal bearing. It's fairly easy to change - you will need to pull the old one with some sort of slide hammer or other removal tool, and put in the new bearing. You will also need an alignment tool to check your engine alignment and to align the new bearing. Here are 2 threads that will help you remove the bearing:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438801
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364003

change the boots on the shifter cable&driveshaft
Those are the U-joint and shift cable bellows. You should also change out the lower shift cable while you are in there - it's probably overdue.

Here is a link to the transom seal kits sold right here at iboats. It includes a gimbal bearing, all bellows, water hoses, gaskets, clamps, etc. You should find out which one fits your engine and order the entire kit.

i now have water in gear oil, it wasnt there when i changed the fluid yesterday but its there now
Did you put new o-ring seals on the screws you removed to drain the old oil? If you re-used the old ones or used none at all, it will not seal properly and could allow water to get in.

thankyou, i want to change everything that needs to be changed when its all apart. Thanks again, gonna try and get it ready for labor day weekend, just around the corner, summer flew by to quick:eek: