94 Evinrude 115 poor idle

Jevenson

Recruit
I have a 94 evinrude 115, e115tlerc. it pops at idle and sometimes will not idle at all, runs fine or better anyways above idle. compression on all 4 cylinders was between 115 and 120. ordred carb rebuild kits, installed and same symptoms. while running with muffs on i used a temp gun and the lower port cylinder was about 10 degress warmer than the rest.(lean condition) i sprayed carb and choke clean around lower head area and idle changed, smoothed out. i pulled head and what i believe is called the bypass cover. gaskets looked fine. is there anything that is common or that i might be missing. also when i pulled the plugs before i did anything i pulled the plugs and they were all nice and brown no indication of lean. and previouse owner had dissabled oil injection and had been premixing gas.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 94 Evinrude 115 poor idle

Pull the thermostats and check/replace.
If anyone is 'leaking' or not working properly, change BOTH.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 Evinrude 115 poor idle

That popping at idle could be a "lean sneeze" in our vernacular on this website. It's actually a carb issue, not ignition. If the idle passages get clogged with dried fuel or any debris, the engine will miss every few seconds-like it is sneezing. A carb overhaul is required, paying special attention to cleaning out the passages in the carbs with a carb cleaner-like a Gumout type product. That's the only cleaner that will dissolve dried fuel from the carb passages. At idle the carb butterflys are closed. All fuel must go through the idle passages only. Once you crack the throttle (even slightly) the mid and high speed jets come into play and provide fuel to keep the engine going.