Upholstery How-To's?

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm thinking I'll try reupholstering my bow seats myself this fall or next season, before spending the money having them professionally done. I'll be starting from scratch, using the old rotted boards as a template on some fresh plywood. But I've never done anything like this before and will be starting completely from scratch. There must be some good how-to's on this forum, but none came up when I searched? Or maybe theres some good how-to's elsewhere on the internet? Or maybe I should just list all the detailed questions I have and turn this thread into the how-to I'm looking for?

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Upholstery How-To's?

Thanks for the links guys, very good presentation...gives me some more ideas on when i get to my panels ..Thanks :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I struggled with the idea of paying the pro vs. doing my own a ton. In the end I kinda did a mix of the two.

Here are the conclusion(s) that I have personally come to:

1. Nearly all the pros I found to do the work were super expensive. Yes I do think they are worth it but just outside of my bottom feeder budget, some were waaayyyy outside. One guy was very reasonable but he was far the exception.

2. In many cases you can buy new seats for the same or less than having old ones rebuilt. If you have a custom seat that needs to be built that would be a great reason to go with the pro.

3. I feel like I can do a reasonable job on side panels and that sort of easy stuff. If the job involves any kind of sewing or any kind of dimentions, I need to leave it to the pros if I want it to look pro. That is their game and they know how to play it. A few fellas around iboats have great skill and can pull it off. I think the rest of us are mere mortals and can't make the work look right/good.

Either way, have fun!

l008com

Based on those links, I think I can do my front seats myself. It's a bowrider so its just separate cushions for the walls and for the seats. Wheres a good place to get supplies? Foam and vinyl that are good for use on boats? Also to they have P.T. plywood? Do I have to do something to the plywood so it won't rot?

l008com

Isn't there foam made for boats, that is more resistant to moisture?

rickryder

Commander

I used black contractor bags to cover the foam before I installed the new covers.....it serves 2 purposes.....to keep the foam dry and so that the backing on the vinyl doesn't abrade the foam.

l008com

I used black contractor bags to cover the foam before I installed the new covers.....it serves 2 purposes.....to keep the foam dry and so that the backing on the vinyl doesn't abrade the foam.

Is that noisy at all though? I'm more interested in doing my bow seats than doing side panels. Meaning the things I'll be covering are actually going to get sat on and leaned against a lot.

Adam76

Seaman

Did you make your piping if so how, I couldn't find out in the videos, thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Go to page#5 in my "My Flamingo" thread listed below and there is a video that shows you how to make piping. It is about 3/4 of the way through the 1st video.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to page#5 in my "My Flamingo" thread listed below and there is a video that shows you how to make piping. It is about 3/4 of the way through the 1st video.
Woodonglass real fine job on the videos, you are also doing a real fine job on your restore. I like the style of the older boats. Thanks for the videos as they will help me too.