bayliner decking question.

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 93 bayliner capri 1800 and am looking to redo the deck and stringers. looking through the ski locker there seem to be 2 layers of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood on the deck. Is this typical or has someone repaired the deck by simply adding another layer of plywood over the rotted deck? :facepalm:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: bayliner decking question.

Yep, very sloppy redo by a PO. It should be fun to tear out!

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, just as I thought. well, will be a fun winter for sure! thank you!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

adding another layer of ply over an existing deck will condem a boat in 3 years.

it traps the moisture in and increases rot by a factor of 10. you will need to do the stringers, foam and more than likely the transom as well

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seeing two layers by looking through the ski locker hole does not nescessarily mean that there has been a repair.. I have an '87 Bayliner and around my ski locker there was two layers of 1/2 inch ply for rigidity. But just around the ski locker. The rest of the deck was one layer of 1/2 inch ply.

wildvortex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, know for sure that the stringers need to be replace so I guess I will see what I find at that time. I see the reasoning behind hastening the rot by adding a second layer definatly not a good engineering job if bayliner was producing it that way. if added by PO it makes it even worse.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSCF7790.jpg
Seeing two layers by looking through the ski locker hole does not nescessarily mean that there has been a repair.. I have an '87 Bayliner and around my ski locker there was two layers of 1/2 inch ply for rigidity. But just around the ski locker. The rest of the deck was one layer of 1/2 inch ply.
Exactly what I have in my 1993 glasstream. The ski locker section of the floor is removable and I think it is a good idea and my deck is 1/2 but this section is 2 pieces of 3/4.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

90 and up they just used a alum frame