83 150 black max trouble

badtip

Cadet
I will start out with last years problem, I had a miss in one cylinder and after swapping coils around and no change in location of the miss i swapped the switch boxes and the miss moved to the other side of the motor, i replaced the switchbox and problem solved and the motor has been running perfect since last summer, until today that is, it all started out fine and all of a sudden lost power and i bareley limped back to the ramp,so the first thing i did was check for spark and 3 cylinders on the same side of the motor are all dead so i figured maybe switchbox went bad, I swapped the switchboxes and the same cylinders are not firing, could this be the stator ?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 84 150 black max trouble

This is the troubleshooting guide from the Dolphin Marine website. It may help you.

----------------------------------------------------
No fire on one bank (odd or even cylinders on inline 6 cylinder engines)

Check DVA voltage of the stator, checking from each red and blue wire to engine ground. The readings should be approximately 180 volts or more on the blue wires and 30 or more on the red wires. If a DVA meter is not available, swap both sets of the stator wires between the packs. If the problem moves, replace the stator. If the problem stays on the same bank, swap physical location and all connections of the two packs. If the problem stays with one pack, replace the pack.

NOTE - If the pack is bad. it is recommended that both packs be replaced if the packs are not manufactured by CDI or Rapair. If the packs lose ground, internally or externally, the packs manufactured by other sources usually have severe damage to the bias circuit and have to be replaced as a set. The packs manufactured by CDI and Rapair will withstand loss of ground connection, normally with no damage to the bias circuitry. In most cases you will just lose fire.

badtip

Cadet
Re: 83 150 black max trouble

OK i ran a few tests and here are the results, I am assuming that the volts are AC volts and not DC.

With the engine running , voltage at one box is 225V blue wire and 75V at the red wire

At the other box 80V at the blue wire and 70V at the red wire.

I hope this helps, I am leaning towards the stator but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At the other box 80V at the blue wire and 70V at the red wire.

Assuming that you did the test properly, the test result indicates
that the stator is bad.

stapletm

Recruit

Had the exact same problem with same engine 3 years ago, only it was intermittant (GRRRR). I Replaced the stator with an older one (cheaper and available) that didn't have the ground wire (grounded throught the block).
Has worked great ever since. Mechanic said stators rarely fail, and the only difference (besides looks) between the old and the older, was the ground wire, which in his opinion really didn't matter.

badtip

Cadet
Re: 83 150 black max trouble

Well i think i am going to buy the new stator, i just need to make sure i get the right one, my motor is 1983 150 black max ser# 6220455

I have owned this boat and motor since 1984 when i bought it new, it has taught me, my freinds, my wife, my kids and anyone else that wanted to ski, wakeboard, or whatever without ever leaving me broke down or stranded, My hats off to mercury for building an outstanding motor.

I estimate the hours on this motor at close to 1500

In 24 years of perfect service i guess it deserves a few new parts.