Help with Friction screw on X-act manual control

pdwire

Recruit
I have a 5.7L GXi with DP outdrive and an x-act manual control. The control kept slipping and the boat would decelerate expecially if I was going under 35mph. I saw in the manual that there was a friction screw that they said could be tightened if the control arm started slipping but all the manual said was remove control arm and tighten the screw (not exactly helpful instructions for a novice). I undid the first two screws on the control arm (the only obvious screws on there) and tried to slide the arm up to remove it. There was a lot of resistance so I decided to just slip back down the shaft and seek some help. Well in that process now my shift button does not work.. still goes into forward, neutral and reverse but no 'stop' to make sure you do not go straight from fwd to reverse. Can someone please advise on how to disassemble the handle to get to the friction screw or advise where I can find this in some type of instructions or diagram in a shop manual.. been looking all over the internet but can find anything.

Thanx so much for any help you can provide.

Patrick

PS.. link to picture of manual control

http://www.volvopentapower.com/images/thumbs/0003792_125.jpg