82' Evinrude 50hp charging system?

Offroadtek

Cadet
Background story, my dad got a 82' MonArk probably 7 years back and used it rarely(maybe once a month). He always told me that it didn't have a charging system on it so he had to charge the trolling battery and the start battery every time he went out to be safe. Now I keep the boat for him since I live close to water and we go out atleast once a week. I've always wanted to put a tach and see about a charging system on the boat so I start reading about doing that on this wonderful site (just found it today). Well after literally hours of reading I think that this engine (E50BEL(82)) should have a charging system on it. It has a rectifier which I think only has to do with a charging system. So can someone tell me for sure if this engine has a charging system? Right now the volt reading at the battery is 12.7 engine off and 12.4 running at speed. I'm a capable auto/truck engine mechanic, but am on unfamiliar ground with small engines. This is the first I've messed with, so if anyone can tell me that I'm not completely out in left field with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

boat.JPG

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 82' Evinrude 50hp charging system?

By the parts breakdown you do have a rectifier, so the engine does have a charging system. If I were you I would get the factory manual and troubleshoot the charging system.

Offroadtek

Cadet

Thanks so much. He has a sorta universal manual for it, but I want to get a more specific one. I found a original service manual for 50hp 81 engines. Think it's close enough?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to get the manual according to the model number to make sure you get the correct one.

Haffiman

Commander

The rectifier is shown on your pick, the round piece between the coils at the back.
It should have three yellow and one red wire, see below link pos# 43.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition+System
The 3 yellow (yellow, yellow/gray and yellow/blue stripe goes to under the flywheel, the red goes to starter relay B+. All connected through the connector strip 25.
Take a multi meter, measure resistance between the yellow wires at the strip. (disconnect them first). Then measure between yellow wires and ground. It should be continuity between the yellow wires, but no to ground.
Then measure the rectifier from each yellow to the red -continuity, from the red to the yellow - no continuity.

Offroadtek

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I checked it out this morning and there is no continuity between any of the yellows, and none between any yellow and red either way. So I'm ordering a new one.
While I'm ordering, I still want to put a tach on this boat. I understand the 5 pole/6 pole setting. Most have a 4/6/8 cyl setting also. Aslong as it has the 5 or 6 pole setting it should work with this engine, right? Thanks so much for the help.

Haffiman

Commander

You need a 'pole' setting (6)tach that work on AC frequency and not a 'cyl' Tach that works on ign pulses.
Brows around this site and you may find for 'outboards'.
The Tach takes its signal from the yellow/gray from the stator/rectifier on the terminal strip.

Offroadtek

Cadet

Changed the rectifier today. IT WORKS! After 9 years of charging it every trip... Thanks guys and iboats.