1987 force 125hp

1987 Force 125hp Model#1258v7b. Looking at buying a new 3 or 4 blade aluminum prop. Will the Mercury props work with my motor. If so I saw some here on IBOATS for a
125hp 1977 and newer Mercury. The 3 blade TURNING POINT HUSTLER #H1-1319, Hub #30. And the MICHIGAN WHEEL VORTEX#992114 Hub#XHS102. And the 4 blades were
SOLAR AMITA #1413-125-19 and the VOLVO PENTA #41102324 HUB# 41102351. Thanks for the help all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 force 125hp

Mercury props for the small gearcase engines--4 inch gearcase-- will work but you need to be careful. Not just any mercury prop will work, even though they all are 15 spline.

Vortex: If it is 4 inch hub, for this prop to fit, you must either remove the anode behind the prop or cut it down. OR, machins about 1/2 inch off the webs inside the hub. The Vortex webs are too long and hit the anode. You must also use the special vortex thrust washer.

Can't tell you about the other props.

Thanks FRANK I looked here on IBOATS for a prop and it only gave me the Mighigan Match Prop #072108(19pitch). Since my motor is a single exhust. Would a prop from a 1988 dual exhust work also. There are more to chose from under the 1988 model including the VORTEX #992115. If the VORETX will work what damage could be done if I remove the anode behind the prop and will the special thrust washer be included in the hub kit (kit #XHS 202) and what would be the better prop to buy in your opinion. I have the motor on a 16.5 ft VIP bass boat but I'm getting a lot of cavation right now with the prop I have. Someone also said that I should try one of the composite props from COMPROP. Don't know much about them but the are pretty cheap around 100.00 and if I can get a aluminum prop for a little bit more I'd like to go with it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First, I believe the special thrust washer comes with the Vortex hub kit, but since I bought my prop and hub used off ebay, I don't know for sure.
I do know that the Vortex aluminum does load down my engine a good bit more than stainless props. It runs a good 500-600 RPM slower.
If you are experiencing a lot of Ventilation/cavitation try a cupped prop. It may not solve the problem but will at least help a little. I have that problem on my cuddy and while a cupped prop does not solve the problem, at least I can now use about 1/3 of total trim travel as opposed to none before.

On that note, I have had good success with a Ballisic stainless. It has very high rake and you must do a couple of modifications to clear the exhaust snout. You must remove the anode and substitute a stainless clamping collar for the thrust washer. I did a report here and in the Force forum a couple of months ago and if you search for them, you can find the photos included showing how to fit the Ballistic. If you don't mind spending the bucks, that might be the way to go. Again, I bought the Ballistic new/used from Cabelas and it was for a different brand engine--I think-- No box! It wobbled on the prop shaft and when I contacted Michigan with its number, they sent me an OMC hub. Thus, I can not give you a specific number for your engine. It looked so pretty, that for 200 bucks I bought it on speculation whether or not it would fit my engine. My prop is 21 pitch and is number 335533. If you contact Michigan, you can probably find an equivalent 19 pitch.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I can not access photos in my manage attachments album-- It only lets me upload new ones---go figure. I would need to scan hundreds of photos in my thumb drives to find and upload the correct ones.

All Force props fit all force engines--dual exhaust or single exhaust. There is NO loss of performance when using an open hub prop on a single exhaust engine.

The anode is held onto the "spool" with two fillister head slotted screws. No damage is done removing it but if you boat in salt water, you have less protection.

Thanks Frank you have helped alot. I'm running a 19p prop right now and can use about 2/3 of my trim turning about 5000rpm. If i were to go with the VORTEX would I need to drop down to a 17p to allow for the 500-600 rpm drop due to the prop my buddy had the same problem with his motor when he bought a VORTEX and said that I might want to go to a lower pitch prop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While a lower pitched Vortex prop will maintain the correct RPM, I think you will lose some top end speed. All in all, I'm not too happy with Vortex performance on my hulls and engines. I have used it on my 21 foot cuddy with a 140, my 15 footer with both a 90 and a 105, and my 14 foot flat bottom go-fast with a 125 and was uniformly disappointed. Mind you: The prop is well made and nicely finished. I see no obvious faults with it, It just doesn't work as well as other props on my combinations.

Now, With the Ballistic, I dropped from 5900 using a 12 1/2 X 21 pitch stainless cleaver prop (on the go-fast) to about 4800 (I think--find the post) with the Ballistic, yet top speed remained the same at 60 MPH. It performed equally well on my other hulls too. I am very satisfied with this prop.