UPDATE 9/10 Power Tilt/Trim Suddenly Stopped Working While Out On The Water....

racezilla500

Cadet
1988 Mariner 90 hp 3 cylinder.
The power tilt/trim stopped working after being on the water for a few hours today.
I'm using the rocker switch on my throttle arm. Not sure if there is another switch anywhere else.
No clicking, humming, or anything else. Just dead. I used the relief screw to raise it up enough to put my support arm in.
Can anyone help a rookie out? I'm frantically searching the site for answers.
Thanks for any advice!

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Power Tilt/Trim Suddenly Stopped Working While Out On The Water....

Clean all connections. first

RRitt

Captain

hot wire the trim motor to a battery. if the motor spins then you have a wiring/solenoid/fuse problem. If the motor does not spin when hotwired then it is bad.

racezilla500

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. Now I just have to figure out where the trim motor is haha (rookie)

Barry F

Cadet

Same thing happened to me this weekend however it is a Penta leg.
I checked to fuse in the fuse box under the dash and it was good, next checked the fuse at the trim motor and it was good,
Then after tracing the wiring behind the engine I found a 50 circuit breaker that had tripped, pushed it in and was good to go.
Moral of the story is don't let your wife trim up the boat and keep the button pushed up until the breaker trips. At least I learned
where the breaker was because I had no idea I had one.

racezilla500

Cadet

Traced the wires from the trim motor to where they connect on the outboard. One black, one blue, one green. No fuse or breaker between the connection that I can see.

I disconnected the wires and jumped them to a battery as stated above. The motor pushed
one rod up when I touched a colored wire to + and the other colored wire pulled the other
rod down. Black was on ground post.

So my motor is working. Now I have my left rod all the way down and my right rod
1/4 up. Should I try to equal those out? And how if so?

I guess it's safe to say I have a problem between the rocker switch and where it connects?
Thanks so much folks!

racezilla500

Cadet

Any more ideas?:D

racezilla500

Cadet

Still trying to figure this one out :-/

TCar321

Recruit

IT sounds like the relays are bad. Easy fix. Under $20 for the 2 relays at any auto parts store.

RRitt

Captain

Traced the wires from the trim motor to where they connect on the outboard. One black, one blue, one green. No fuse or breaker between the connection that I can see.

I disconnected the wires and jumped them to a battery as stated above. The motor pushed
one rod up when I touched a colored wire to + and the other colored wire pulled the other
rod down. Black was on ground post.

So my motor is working. Now I have my left rod all the way down and my right rod
1/4 up. Should I try to equal those out? And how if so?

I guess it's safe to say I have a problem between the rocker switch and where it connects?
Thanks so much folks!

there is a green/wht and a blue/wht control wire coming from switch to solenoids. The trim solenoids are mounted with the starter solenoid. Using a VOM check for the blu/wht wire to go hot when you push switch up and grn/wht to go hot when you press down. if the wires go hot the it is either your solenoid or a bad ground. If the wires do not go hot then it is in the switch circuit.

racezilla500

Cadet

there is a green/wht and a blue/wht control wire coming from switch to solenoids. The trim solenoids are mounted with the starter solenoid. Using a VOM check for the blu/wht wire to go hot when you push switch up and grn/wht to go hot when you press down. if the wires go hot the it is either your solenoid or a bad ground. If the wires do not go hot then it is in the switch circuit.

I tried this today and didn't get any reading on my voltmeter.
Looked at my throttle lever to try and figure out how to get to the trim switch. Haha I must be an idiot because I can't figure out how to take the thing apart!
While looking for a way to take the lever apart/off, I noticed a bare wire sandwiched between my lever and the base. Looks like it pulled apart?
Tested the wire and it goes hot when I turn the main power switch on.
throttle-1.jpg

throttlewire.jpg

racezilla500

Cadet
Re: UPDATE 9/10 Power Tilt/Trim Suddenly Stopped Working While Out On The Water....

Anyone know how to disassemble the type of throttle lever I have?