Which Gimbal Bearing Do I Need?

InkyDoggy

Recruit
I have an older 120 Mercruiser and need to find out which gimbal bearing to buy to replace the old one. Serial number on the out drive is 2073071. I pulled the gimbal bearing out and it is a steel bearing encased in a hard white plastic outer ring and it also had two brass shim stocks around the plastic outer sleeve when I pulled it out. What year is this out drive and which gimbal bearing by part number do I need to replace it. Also are the newer gimbal bearings all one piece today to make the job easier or will I have to put one in that has this outer plastic ring on it and use shim stock to get it in tight? Is there a factory manual someplace online for this unit I can download too. Bearing came out fairly easy after I built a screw type puller I found a photo of on this site. Only hard part was getting the snap ring out as it was rusted bad and one side of it broke off. I used a L type tire Lug Iron to lift on the other side of the snap ring like a big screw driver gradually pulling it up and bending it until it popped out of the groove. After that the bearing pull went smooth.

spinalcracker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Which Gimbal Bearing Do I Need?

I was wondering the same thing about using a new bearing without the plastic. Can this be done as well or do you have to use the plastic and a sealed bearing?