New member looking for guidance on a Islander type boat.

giantloop

Cadet
So since I was a kid I have wanted what I would call a Starcraft Islander. Some background on myself, I am a mechanic that has a fair amount of boat repairs under my belt and I have even done two transoms in the past so I have enough experience to get myself in trouble. I want a boat to make some trips on the Missouri river, some local overnights and dare I say the Great Loop at some point. Yes, lots of water and a little boat (http://www.greatloop.org/). Now I am at the point I can start to put together what I want the question is what boat model do I want? I am thinking 22 ft but don?t really have a rule made. Inboard or outboard both make since for what I am doing. I just have to have a little room with a space to get out of the weather you know. The final deal is the boat price. I am thinking 5 or 6 thousand to get the boat and trailer. What do you think as far as model of boat, cost to get it and whatever else comes to mind? Much thanks Guys and Gals?...:)

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New member looking for guidance on a Islander type boat.

Think you're on the right track. An Islander is exactly what I would pic. I am partial to I/O. You won't get the same concurrence on this blog. Seems to be a lot of "motor hangers" on this site. I too have experience on automotive engines and let me tell you, when you throw back that engine box, it looks a lot more familiar than when you pull off the outboard cover. You should be able to get a nice one on that budget. Look up in the Michigan area on craigs list. Economy is really taken it's toll up there. It could be worth the drive.

Grzzzz

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Personally
That Islander would get real small real fast and real uncomfortable on a loop trip!
Plus a 100 on the above "looking familiar" when you lift the doghouse off..Things are where they should be..lol.
BUT
If you needed room, and you will..then hanging an eggbeater off the backside would prob be better.

p.s.
What time of year would you want to do the loop? That cabin would cook you in the summer and literally be an icechest in the winter..

Petemar

Cadet

Have always been partial to Starcraft, especially in the Great Lakes. I just purchased in June, a 1987 Starcraft Islander 19V, with trailer, a Mercruiser 120 hp I/O (sorry guys) and also has a 8hp Merc on the back for trolling. Recently took it from the Saginaw River up to East Tawas and back......it was a dream, handled very well in 3-4 ft sea as well as on the "glass" we had on the way home. So far as buying one in Michigan, one post is right. The economy lead me to mine through iBoats to a dealer in Secord Lake who sold me mine for $5,800. It also came with a Lowrance X55 fish finder, a Lowrance GPS system, ship to shore, down rigger reals, and a tank of fuel......LOL.....Happy hunting......

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That Islander would get real small real fast and real uncomfortable on a loop trip!

^^ Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. I have the 22' Islander and I think it's perfect for overnights and such, but I wouldn't do a long trip like the loop in a boat that small. You really don't have the storage space for the provisions you'd need for a long trip. The ceiling in the cabin is pretty low - I have to tilt my head when I sit upright in it. Only you know how much room you need to keep from going insane, but if you wanna do long trips, I'd recommend searching for the holy grail - the 26' Chieftain. Not only is the cabin ceiling considerably taller, there's a head, a little sink and even a stove I think. You'd be far more comfortable on a really long trip. Of course the 26' is very hard to find....

If you stick with the Islander, I think your budget is totally reasonable.

Whatever you decide, get back here and post up the pictures! Good luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Islander - small cabin, Chieftain - larger cabin. Same hulls. Both available in different lengths.

giantloop

Cadet

Great info guys. I will try to answer some questions.
The trip would be in what I would call fall winter around the south end of Florida. My brother lives down that way and we have watched the weather for years thinking it over but this trip is still off a few years and the best plans always change.

I did se that bigger boat on Craigslist and it would be nice....I owuld love a bigger boat but the fuel cost are a big deal if you know what I mean...

My search started for this deal and I wanted a 22 foot C-Dory with a 90 horse and a kicker. After pricing it I think a Islander with camper canvis would save a ton of cash and you could still make the trip. I watched two girls just out of school do it in a 16 ft Durocraft and a tent. If they can make it in that a 22 ft Islander can pull it off. Thanks Guys.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd tend to agree with these guys but really it's what you are after, ya know.

I'd be comfortable in an Islander for a looooooooong time. Course I lived out of my backpack with little more than a bivy sack for months.

The stove, water tank and a pooper would be key I think. If that is stuff you are after than definitely go for a big Chieftain, no doubt about it. That one listed above would be a great candidate for a rebuild.

If all you care to have is a place to lay your head the Islander would be great as you gain the room on deck.

All depends on what ya want, what makes you happy, what comfort level you looking for, eh!

Have fun on your quest:)

Petemar

Cadet

Comfort level.....went on a two day fishing trip with my 19 now with a bimini and a screened in stern area......nice and comfy for the overnight with no more than a couple of blankets and pillows. The berth up front is great for a couple of days, when with the wife, but would be great for longer periods on my own.....don't tell her I said that. Keep hunting and find the dream......

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a big freaking boat