Shift shaft seal

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm in the middle of replacing the shift cable and noticed the shift shaft seal was dry rotted. The bushing that the seal sits in seams to be part of the bell housing. the part I got seems to indicate that it all comes out. Do I have the wrong parts? Can I just replace the seal only? If it's the wrong part, whats the correct part number? Any insight on how this is replaced? Thanks!

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

lmannyr

Re: Shift shaft seal

The piece that extends into the exhaust does not look like it come off. It looks like part of the bell housing mold.

IMG_0664.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The old seal and bushing (I think) is inside that casting, all that is probably left of the seal is the thin metal shell. Pry it out and drive the small end of that bushing in, the large end (with the seals) hangs down below. You may have to drive the old bushing out first, can't remember exactly.

lmannyr

How many seals are in the "casting"? I took out a rubber ring and a flimsy spring like ring. Seems like there is more in there though. After its all out, I can drive it up and the larger end of it will sit below the "casting"?

This is where I'm at so far.
IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

thanks for the help..

lmannyr

Got the rest of the seals out. The "casting" is nice and clean. Problem now is the smaller diameter side of the bushing is to small to be pressed fit. It too small to even stay in the hole from the exhaust side. The diameter of the brass bushing (small end) is too small. So I"m back to thinking, is this the wrong part?

lmannyr

Measured the upper shift shaft hole from the exhaust side and it measures approx 3/4". Per mercstuff, thats the size for a gen 2. I bought this boat 3 years ago and never replaced the bell housing. Maybe the previous owners did. I know the engine was changed out. AHHHH more of a reason to get another boat....newer this time.....nuff with rant... Gonna look at some gen 2 bell housings now to see if its like mine.

lmannyr

Picture below (Alpha 1 gen 2) shows that same casting protruding into the exhaust below. Picture is from mercstuff. CHUX! Hopefully the local shop will take back the opened package....

bellhsgb.jpg

How the heck do I have a Alpha 1 gen 2 bell housing with a gen 1 drive.......:facepalm: I replaced the drive 2 years ago with a SEI 106. Live and learn. This was my first boat purchase. Waiting for the right time to upgrade. BHM or Mainship pilot will be my next boat. Can't wait.

Anyhow...back to the shift shaft.....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Measured the upper shift shaft hole from the exhaust side and it measures approx 3/4". Per mercstuff, thats the size for a gen 2.

Sure looks like, interesting hunt though LOL, good luck.

baja99

Cadet

i have a 99 model alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. I had the same issue as you with the shift shaft seal. I ended up using quicksilver part # 23-806036A1. This kit comes with 2 brass bushings and 2 hard plastic orings. I reached a merc tech and these were the installation instructions I used to instal land by the way it worked. The larger brass bushing is installed per the photo you have of the new bellhousing unit. flush to the bottom extended out thru the exhaust passage,the smaller brass bushing is installed flush to the top of the upper part of the bellhousing flush to the white fiber washer the shift mechanism rides on and the 2 hard plastic orings are installed ( LIP UP ) underneath the smaller brass bushing meaning the orings have have springs inside of them and they both are installed springs up or LIP UP. Hope this helps.